Tuesday, February 25, 2020

One Of The Stories Of The Decade?

Ten years ago we were putting on the sixth Trans Iowa already.
You may have seen this on Facebook, because I posted about this there on Sunday, but I came across an article linked by someone else for a completely different reason on a Florida gravel page. A link which led to a "Velo News" article about a "Story of the Decade" which was about gravel grinding. It apparently had appeared in the print version of the publication in December.

Okay......"So what". you may be thinking. Well, this article named me by name. Usually, whenever that happened in the past, I was notified right away by somebody. But not this time. Weird........ I guess that tells you something about magazines these days, eh? Maybe you read the article? (HERE) If you did, and didn't say anything, I apologize, but apparently no one I know, or that knows Jeff Kerkove, read this, or told either one of us about this. Maybe it isn't a big deal.......

Anyway, that aside, the article discusses how "gravel grew up", a popular muse for many in the entrenched cycling media these days. They seem to take pleasure in pointing out the biggest thing since sliced bread that everyone, (except perhaps the writers and editors), already has known about for......a very long time now. Some of us for over a decade. Most of us for at least 5-8 years. Where these yahoos have been I don't know.

I mean, people are sick of hearing about "gravel", and yet we keep seeing the genre described as the "hottest new thing in cycling" or a hayseed trend that now has been legitimized since, you know, real races and racers are doing it now. Or something....... I dunno. I just find this whole thing really silly. But as far as this article in particular is concerned, I understand it is coming from a viewpoint of covering the years 2010-2019. So, I've no quarrel with this particular post.

And  again, it amazes me.....apparently no one I know reads these articles. Or I'd have had it forwarded to me, I would have thought, by someone. And that's the oddest thing of all in my opinion. Used to be that if you had your name in print people would let you know about it pronto. And like I say, it wasn't just me, because Jeff commented that he hadn't known about it until I posted the link on Facebook. The article said we were named in a "story of the decade". Must not have been much of a story, huh?

1 comment:

CrossTrail said...

Well, I certainly would have mentioned that article to you had I read it. However, I dropped my VeloNews subscription almost 20 years ago. I suspect I'm not alone.