Monday, June 28, 2021

Guitar Ted Lube-Off: SCC Tech Lube Results

 NOTICE:  The Guitar Ted 'Lube-Off' is a comparison of different lubrication products for bicycle chains that is undertaken in 'real world' conditions in a set way. Then I compare and contrast the results with past 'Lube-Off' products to see "which one is best for me". This is done for entertainment purposes and the reader should apply their own reasoning and discernment while reading my 'Lube-Off' entries. What works for me may not work for you at all. 

Okay, the time has come for me to render a final verdict on the SCC Tech Lube. I also have a bit of news on this lube which I will share first. But even before that, if you missed the last update on this lube, you can click this link to go back and read that. Plus there is another link there to take you to the intro. 

 Now for the news: Wolf Tooth recently introduced their chain lube, which- as it turns out- is this very SCC Tech Lube! They call it "WT-1" but it is the same lubricant as this SCC Tech stuff I already have. So, you are essentially getting a review on the WT-1 as well. Bonus! (The link takes you to my "FN&V" post where I detailed the news on that lube.)

The SCC Tech Lube left a little residue on the cassette, and maybe a bit on the inner plates of the chain.

As far as how this lube performed overall, I would say that it is pretty darn good stuff. I was a bit put off initially by all the black residue that milked out of the chain to begin with, but SCC Tech claims this is the lube doing its 'self-cleaning' thing. Okay.....I decided to bite, and in the end? The lube started to behave in a way that didn't collect more dust and grit, stayed slippery, and kept this chain relatively quiet. I did follow the advice of SCC Tech to wipe down the chain with a rag from time to time, but even this became less of a need as time went on during the test. 

SCC Tech Lube passes the 'Touch Test' with flying colors.

As far as my 'Touch Test' goes, SCC Tech did very well once the lube settled in and quit milking out all that black residue. This ended up being on par with DuMonde Tech and the Muc-Off C3 Ceramic lube. Pretty impressive! 

Shift quality remained excellent throughout the test, but for whatever reason, this lube - or probably this Wippermann chain- is a chunky, loud shifting deal at times. I'm blaming the chain here, because as this lube got drier, the chain shifts got louder. Less wet stuff to damp noise is what that is. So the shifting seemed great, it was just this chain, I think, which was a bit on the loud side when shifting at times. 

At the end of the day, I slot this lubricant in at Number Three on my all-time Lube-Off list. It just is not as clean overall as DuMonde Tech nor as good as the Muc-Off in this regard. The SCC Tech Lube also has that initial period of 'self-cleaning', which can be a bit more maintenance intensive as you should be wiping that off periodically as this process works itself out. That's an extra step neither of the top-two lubricants I have tested require. 

But......SCC Tech Lube is not just a dry conditions lubricant either, so if you see that as a step above from a versatility standpoint, I would take that point and maybe say the SCC Tech Lube could be the better lubricant in those situations where you need an all-around conditions lubricant. So, it depends on how you look at this. I am testing for dry conditions only here, so take that into consideration in my final verdict. 

SCC Tech Lube vs NixFrixShun "Blue Devil" Lubricant: 

 

So, this round featured the two 'blue' colored lubricants, NixFrixShun's Blue Devil and the SCC Tech Lube. The Blue Devil lube's final verdict is here at this link. So, what do I think about the Blue Devil against the SCC Tech Lube? I feel Blue Devil is pretty good, but it was clearly more apt to gather grit and gunk on the side plates of the chain and on the derailleur jockey wheels than the SCC Tech. While Blue Devil kept the chain quiet and shifting really well, it just is not as clean, so it falls below the SCC Tech in that category. Had the SCC Tech Lube stayed dirty as it was out of the gate, this would have ended up being a tie, but the SCC Tech seems to get better with age, in terms of staying gunk-free. 

I will concede that Blue Devil is also listed as an 'all-conditions' lubricant, so it may have staying power through wet and muddy conditions that I did not test for. Again though- it just doesn't stay as clean over-all. To my way of thinking, dirt and gunk on the chain equals a possibility for advanced wear on components, besides slowing you down a tiny bit. That's especially not good in these times where getting new parts is tough, or impossible in some cases. We want to make our parts last as long as possible. A clean drive train goes a long ways toward that goal. 

So, that's a wrap on this round of the "Guitar Ted Lube-Off". I'll check into some lubricants for the next round, but it was clear that many of you thought that I needed to check out the Silca Super Secret Chain Lube and one reader suggested this lube from Prestacycle that has made some amazing claims. Many also suggested Silca's Synergetic lube, but Silca lists this as a 'wet lube' and typically anything specifically listed as such fails miserably in my testing. Remember- dry, dusty, dirty conditions are what I will be subjecting these chains and lubricants to. So, I think it is a bit unfair to put a 'wet lube' up against my proven winners in a 'dry conditions' testing environment. Convince me otherwise and I may change my mind.....

So, this is my ranking so far: DuMonde Tech, Muc-Off C3 Ceramic Dry Lube, SCC Tech Lube. I would heartily recommend any of these three for dry, gravel, dirt road, or pavement use. 

Okay, a final note:  I bought the SCC tech Lube and the NixFrixShun Blue devil lubricants for this round of the Lube-Off. I was not paid nor bribed for these posts and I try to give you my honest thoughts and opinions throughout.

8 comments:

Phillip Cowan said...

I've been using the DuMond Tech stuff for a while now based on your prior recommendation. I think it's the the best I've ever tried. Being lazy by nature I initially tried just applying it over the factory lube. I know you're smiling as you read this because you know it turned into a sticky, tacky mess that attracted dirt like crazy. Oh well, it's not like I wasn't warned, lol. Anyway I went back and stripped the chain with the three jars of solvent method and reapplied it and all is well. I've been slowly working my way through the fleet. The dinglespeed got it this weekend. Thanks for testing all this stuff.

Guitar Ted said...

@Phillip Cowan - Ha ha! Yes, you are correct about my reaction! I'm glad that you found the DuMonde Tech worth while.

NY Roll said...

I am glad to see SCC Slick turned around in your view. I use it all year long and across all my bikes. Long term use, I recommend ignoring their suggestions and lube the chain a bit more often when starting out on a new chain. I found 200 miles of use, I would lube 3 more times vs the 600 miles. It appears to push more stuff out. The critical part to the lube is wiping the chain down after riding the bike or more frequently than normal. I have no real data to back this up other than my experience. And maybe that is general good advice for any lube, not sure.

Guitar Ted said...

@N.Y. Roll - Yeah, I'm seeing more of this sort of instruction for use on some lubes. That Silca lubricant also recommends that you wipe down the chain with a micro-fiber cloth from time to time as well.

DT said...

Regarding the NFS - I agree with your assessment. I believe it does gather more "gunk" than a typical dry lube, but it also keeps things running quiet and smooth. I haven't tried the Blue Devil yet, but the regular NFS is my go-to for rainy or muddy weather.

Regarding the Silca - I would bet Josh would send you a free set of both the Super Secret and the Synergetic. I might be a little more optimistic than you; but I see value in testing both of them. While you might see testing a "bad lube" as a waste of time for you, it provides very valuable info for those of us out here who just don't have very much local gravel to test on. Most of my gravel riding is for far away events or special occasions, so having a list of what works (and what DOESN'T work) is very valuable. As in, "I have this Silca lube for road use, can I use it at my race coming up next month?"

As always, thanks for testing and publishing your results!

fasteddy said...

Just chiming in to offer thanks for your thorough and thoughtful reviews. And, to echo the NFS findings. It is stellar in the wet, in my experience. And, yes, it can attract a bit of crud when dry. I’m ok with that.
Thanks again, Mark.

Guitar Ted said...

@DT - Thank you. I'll consider doing both Silca lubes, but I probably won't do them together. Two at a time is enough for now.

@fasteddy - Thank you! I very much appreciate your kind words.

VirtualJSK said...

I love how the DuMond smells but I find it gathers crud that collects on my idler wheels. I switched to Pedro’s, which seemed really thin at first, but after several applications it settled in and seems great. It’s quiet and very clean. I reapply, wipe, and reapply AFTER I ride, then give a quick wipe BEFORE my next ride. This doesn’t take much time at all and my chain looks, sounds, and works as good as new.