Tuesday, June 29, 2021

Water Carriers

The Elite Jet Green (L), the Jet Plus,(M), and a standard bottle (R)
 I got a nice gift in the mail yesterday from a marketing company I work with for review items for RidingGravel.com. It was two bottles from the "Elite" company.

I wouldn't normally say anything about 'water bottles', but I thought that these two bottles were unusual enough that they warranted mentioning. By the way, I wasn't asked to review these at all, nor does the marketing company or Elite know I am posting this. I just thought maybe some of you folks could use something like these bottles. 

First up, the enormous 'Jet Green' bottle I got here, which is on the left in the image. The impressive thing about it is that it is made from a 'bio-plastic' using sugar cane plants. There is no petroleum based products in its manufacture at all. The other thing is its size. Now, any of these two bottles are available in 550ml and 750ml, which are normal bottle sizes, but this example is 950ml! That's about a quart, in case you were wondering. 

The nozzle at the top has a bigger diameter than many bottles have, so it flows a bunch of water. The bottle is reasonably soft, easy to squeeze, and not weird feeling. I'm not sure about the 950ml size. There is more volume over the top bit where a water cage grabs this bottle than there is under that area. It makes me wonder how this would stay in a water bottle cage or not. It is so tall that it probably will not work in several cases. So, it has its limitations, but in cases where you need to pack a lot of water and you have the available cage space, well..... This might work for you. https://www.elite-it.com/en/products/water-bottles/sport/jet-green

The Jet Plus has a cover which would make it ideal for under the down tube.
The 'Jet Plus' is Elite's bottle with a cap cover which protects the nozzle from dirt and debris making this bottle a great choice for under the down tube situations where the front tire can sling all sorts of crud at a bottle. 

The other feature of the cap is that with its design, you can 'one-hand' the opening and closing of the top with ease, allowing the rider to keep one hand on the handle bars at all times. One slight flick of the wrist, and the protective cap snaps back into place and you can stow the bottle away again.  

This bottle comes in all three sizes that the Jet Green bottle comes in as well, so you can get something with the protective cap that fits your situation. The 750ml size I received might be a bit much for some bikes under the down tube position, but I'll give it a whirl here and see what bike it works on for me. 

The other thing with this bottle, and the Jet Green, is that they are biodegradable once you are done with them. The plastic is infused with certain elements that allow micro-organisms to attack it and break it down more quickly which allows the bottles to be assimilated into the earth again. You can check out the Jet Plus here:  https://www.elite-it.com/en/products/water-bottles/sport/jet-plus

So, there you have it. As always, I am not being paid, nor bribed for this post, I honestly just thought these two bottles were cool and unusual enough that they deserved to get a mention. I'll be using them soon and I will have a thing or two to say about them down the road, but Elite s a well known and respected company from Italy that manufactures these bottles there. I have little doubt that they are at the very least, 'good' products. But, we shall see.......

3 comments:

Exhausted_Auk said...

The Soma "Further" 38oz water bottle is another large bottle option similar to the Jet Green bottle you show. My experience has been that it takes a bottle cage design that grips nice and tight, like a Salsa Nickless cage, or maybe a Velocity Bottle Trap, to hold the bottle adequately. A traditional bottle cage shape just lets it fall out sideways.

CrossTrail said...

I use the Soma Further 38 oz water bottle in an aluminum Lezyne Power cage attached to the seat tube down by the chain stay on my Jones 29+ LWB. Although I don't know that I need it, I also use a rubber coated gear tie (a heavy duty twist tie) to more securely hold the upper portion of the bottle to the frame. With one bottle on each side, that's 76 oz of water carried low and back. I've successfully used this set up on several overnighters and on a recent 4 day bikepacking ride. I plan to use it on my upcoming Great Divide ride.

Daniel said...

I'll be the third person to mention the Soma Further bottle. Its great, I have 2 of them and have never felt like they were going to fall out of the cage. As someone who runs warm and sweats easily its nice to have the extra water available.