Tuesday, April 12, 2022

Forced Weekend Off

A gift from "Captain Steve"
 Well, I can't say that I will ever miss last weekend! Brrr! But then again, maybe I was due. You see, with all the pandemic protocols, we escaped other sicknesses for the last two years. You kind of forget how that- at least that part of the pandemic - had its benefits until it strikes you once again. 

And it sucked. It wasn't just some mild flu or a cold. Nope! It was full-on coming out both ends and pain and well...... That's quite enough of that. 

Some 24 hour deal is still going through the family here. My son had it first. Last Thursday. Then I got it Saturday, Mrs Guitar Ted got in Sunday. So far, my daughter has escaped this somehow. 

I suppose it is possible it was food poisoning, but with my son getting it two days before me? Sounds suspect. Whatever.... All I know is that it was horrible and we will be glad to dismiss that from our lives. I'd like to get back to riding bikes again at some point, if I could! 

The bright spot in this time period was a gift I received. This goes back to the Gents Race weekend when I stayed at Steve's house in Johnston, Iowa, so I wouldn't have to get up super early and drive down on that Saturday. Well, Steve showed me his bicycle collection, and he has some real beauties! Anyway, he casually mentioned that one of his bikes had a 180mm crank set that he was going to move off that bike for another. 

"Wait! Did you just say 180mm crank set?" Yes, Steve said that. So, I told him that I wanted first dibs on that if he ever took them off. Why? I love 180mm cranks on my single speed bikes when I can get that. It just does a little something with the cadence and momentum that I have a feel for. I can tell without even looking if a single speed has a 180mm - or longer- crank set. So, I didn't even give that another thought, but I wanted to throw that out to Steve just in case. 

Well, as I have a propensity toward forgetfulness when it comes to things, it was no surprise that I forgot something when I left Steve's place. I forgot the coat and hat I was wearing when I came because I left in cycling gear for the Gents Race. So, when that was discovered, I was back home already, of course. So, Steve kindly offered to send my stuff back, and along with it..... The gift! 

So, now I have these first generation, 180mm XTR cranks which I am probably going to put on my BMC "Orange Crush" bike as that crank set is suspect as it had a left arm come loose once. Usually that is a death stroke for a square taper crank arm, but somehow that one has been holding on. But in the back of my mind.....I am not confident of this crank arm. The XTR cranks will solve that. 

Now, for some better health and better days ahead, hopefully! Count your blessings if you are a healthy person reading this. It can all go topsy-turvy in a heartbeat.

2 comments:

MG said...

Sorry to hear you got that nasty stuff, Brother. Ironically, I’m just coming out of what sounds to be much the same thing. I had chalked it up to food poisoning, but after hearing your tale, perhaps I am mistaken.

After spending all of yesterday split between the bedroom and bathroom, to be walking upright and being able to eat again feel like gifts!

Guitar Ted said...

@MG - Thank you Brother! Yeah, that sucked! I am sorry you seemed to have a similar thing. I wouldn't wish this sickness on anyone. Glad to hear you are up and about. I agree- being back up again is a gift!