Thursday, April 14, 2022

Twin Six Standard Rando v2: Review Update

Current state of the Standard Rando v2
 Back in 2021 I posted a "One Year Review" on my Twin Six Standard Rando v2 which has proven to be one of the most consistently accessed pages on the blog here since that time. The last time I posted anything significant on this bike was in my "Bikes of 2021" review where I mentioned that I'd like to get a single speed specific hub for the bike. Then in January I got that wheel built up and a quick test ride on it was reported back in February.

All else on the bike has remained the same, so I thought that now that I have had a few short rides on the bike, that I'd update the review on this bike so far. It seems to be a popular searched item here, so why not

There are a couple of things about this build on this frame and fork that I wanted to point out that, I feel, make this bike work a lot better for me than it should. Then I will get into what differences the wheels make to that overall ride quality. 

The frame and fork are not what I would term a very good definition of a 'steel frame/fork ride', whatever that may mean to you. All I know is that this frame is stiff, and as a single speed platform it is perfect. The last thing I want in my single speed frame is a frame that twists up under extreme torque loading. You'll know what I mean if you are a single speed person. That leads to popping chains, breaking chains, or derailing chains, all of which are bad things. 

I maybe have gotten this frame to pop the chain a couple of times. maybe- cannot remember for sure- so you know it is solid and pretty much twist-free in that regard. But that means it is a stiff frame in terms of ride quality as well. So this is where the big tires, Redshift ShockStop stem, and PRO Dyneema Carbon Post work a trick to make the Standard Rando v2 a nicer ride. 

Having a stiff frame is key when single speeding up the rollers. (Image from the 2021 Turkey Burn Ride0

Someone reached out to me recently regarding a choice on the Standard Rando v2 of steel or carbon for the fork. Honestly, it doesn't matter in terms of ride feel. Both are stiff little buggers, just in different ways. I went carbon to see what I thought. My Standard Rando v1 had the steel fork. So, I've ridden both enough to know that the carbon is the way to go, if only for the lighter weight. It won't 'smooth out' anything, regardless of what your internet forum groupies may say. 

That's the job of the Redshift ShockStop stem. If you have not tried one, it does way more than any steel, carbon, or whatever material fork you choose could do for 'smoothing out' things. Way more. If you ride gravel roads- real gravel roads, with crushed rock- then get one and try to tell me I am wrong. I know it won't be good for 'this-or-that' terrain, I get it. But for where I ride this is indispensable. 

Add a nice, vibration damping seat post and/or saddle, big, aired down tires, and the Standard Rando v2 rides great. Really great. This is due to the geometry and how it affects handling. Twin Six did a pretty nice job here. But back to that fork question- Just get the carbon one and be done with it. 

The Paul WORD through axle hub and that Origin 8 free wheel.
So, now a WORD (ha!) or two about that Paul Components WORD hub and wheel build. Well, I went from carbon hoops to these mixed Velocity/Stan's hoops with that Paul hub. Can I tell a difference? 

If anything, yes- The back of the bike feels more stiff than it used to. Again- great for single speed. Not so great for ride quality! I think the bracing angle of the spokes is why. The compromise one has to accept with bracing angles of spokes on geared, rear hubs makes things a bit flexy. I could discern that in the back of the bike as a sharper feeling over bumps and cracks. 

Did I also lose something going with aluminum rims over carbon? No....just different, and heavier, of course, by a little bit. But that said, I can see me getting the matching Paul front hub, a pair of carbon fiber rims, and re-lacing the rear hub up again. Lighter is 'more-gooderer', or something like that, when it comes to wheels- to a degree. 

So, besides that, I am testing a Redshift Sports ShockStop Pro post in another bike that may find its way over here to this bike after a bit, and then who knows? I'll just be fine tuning beyond that point. But this bike is a real keeper and I have plans to have a lot of fun rides, challenges, and miles onboard this thing in the future. It's a great gravel bike.
 

I paid for this bike, and I was not paid, nor bribed to give this review.

No comments: