Saturday, April 02, 2022

WW4M: SILCA Pista Plus Floor Pump

 This is another "WW4M" post. That means "What Works For Me" and it may not work for you. So, take that with the following words into consideration..... Also- Standard Disclaimer.

I've waxed on about the SILCA Pista Plus floor pump on RidingGravel.com before, but I like this pump so much I had to add a "WW4M" post on it here as well. I was recently reminded how good this pump is again after using it for bike tune-ups I am performing for an upcoming bicycle rodeo that my church is putting on for under-served kids in Waterloo here. 

What is ironic about my experience with the Pista Plus is that I would be writing about it here even though at first I did not understand 100% what the pump could do. Which, by the way, I admit to my own shame, because I initially reviewed the pump before I knew about some of those features. 

In my defense I did not clearly see any instructions back in 2018 when I first reviewed the pump that would have informed me of this pump's feature set and how to use/access them. Specifically the Schrader valve compatibility. It was my friend in SoCal, Michael, who tipped me off that this pump's chuck worked with both Presta and Schrader valves. Finally, I figured that out and I was off to the races. 

Okay, so let's get something out of the way right now. This pump retails at $200.00. That's a lot of coin, no matter how you slice it. You can pick up what seem to be really good pumps for half the price of the SILCA, or less. (See another of my "WW4M" posts here for a great example) So- why? Why spend what the asking price is for this pump? To answer that, I have to list the things that annoy me about other pumps first. 

The three-footed design of the base, and the excellent gauge, are just what you need and nothing you don't.

So, I have used probably every design for floor pumps over my span of 29 years as a bicycle mechanic. From cheaply made plastic affairs to highly polished, steel and aluminum masterpieces of pump design. So, I think I have a good background to discern what is "good" and what is "not-so-good" in floor pumps. Here are a few things that annoy me about floor pump designs in general:

  • Poorly executed pump heads- This has to be the #1 most common flaw of floor pumps.
  • Plastic: Sorry, but anything plastic drops the function and feel of any pump to a "less-than-good" experience. Generally speaking, the quality and longevity of high performance output is lessened by use of plastics in pump designs. 
  • Hose length: Too long or too short. Add in how the pump head/hose are stowed between uses here. THAT can be a really frustrating detail if it is not done well. 
  • Related to the first bullet point, but deserves its own mention: Locking levers for valves. I despise these things. They can get in the way on smaller sized wheels, (think kid's bikes), and they can lead to bent or torn valve stems on tubes or tubeless valve stems. While some designs have levers that are okay, the best pump heads don't need that lever. 
  • Sloppy bushings: Ever used a pump that seemed to wobble when the handle was pushed down? Not good.
  • A floor pump that is easily tipped over when not in use. Honestly, SILCA has what is probably the worst offender in this way in their previous Pista pump which was produced for decades. But many current designs seem to want to fall over even if you barely touch them. 

Probably the best Schrader valve pump head interface in floor pumps today

Okay- now I want to get into what makes the SILCA Pista Plus a really great floor pump. First off, this pump probably has the very best Schrader valve attachment in floor pumps today. It is not novel- I've seen mini-pumps with this head design from other companies, but I don't see this on many floor pumps and definitely not executed as well as the SILCA's is. 

The head screws on- a very important point- and that bit that screws on can rotate independently of the hose itself, so you are not winding up the hose when you attach the pump head to the valve stem. This allows you to use both hands on the finely crafted ash wood handle, (very nice on the hands!), and you do not have to worry about that valve blowing off the stem during inflation, like you do with a lot of other floor pumps with friction style pump heads. You do not have any annoying locking lever to deal with, so pumping up those 8" kid's bike tires is a breeze. 

To switch to Presta, simply screw the Presta head into the Schrader fitting. That tiny black button is a bleed valve.

On the Presta side of things, this pump uses the tried and true design which SILCA is known for. All parts are replaceable, and the design is renowned for its ability to stay on a valve, even at ridiculously high track bike pressures of 200+psi. I'm not going over 40psi here! So I'm good to go. 

Speaking of pressure, that gauge is accurate to within 2%, which is pretty darn good. I've checked it against my two different digital gauges here and the Pista Plus is always spot on with those gauges. Many floor pumps have really inaccurate gauges. It's pretty rare to see a gauge so consistently accurate with my digital measuring devices that I have. In fact, I'm so convinced that the Pista Plus gauge is good that I quit double checking it. 

The hose stows away in a perfect position every time.

SILCA says that this pump is designed to "...outlast the rest of your cycling equipment." Hmm... Big claim there! Now, I can tell you that this pump has been in regular usage here since the Fall of 2018, so how has it held up for three plus years? 

Really, it works just like the day I unboxed it. I've noted no degradation of performance. I've seen lesser floor pumps get pretty ratty and almost unusable within a year of steady usage. Pumps that cost $50.00 or more. So, I may have gone through three, maybe four of those by this point, had I relied on a "cheaper option". 

You can do the math there. But that doesn't even begin to touch upon the ease of use for this pump, and the simplicity of its design, which is very satisfying to use. Other pumps may have small, frustrating quirks about them which you may be just passing over. But that stuff weighs and adds up over time. You don't have this at all with the SILCA pump. In fact, I look forward to using it. It works that well. 

So, is it worth 200 bucks? Well, in a world filled with immediate satisfaction and low priced options the initial, knee-jerk reaction is to say "No!". Two-hundred is 'crazy money' for a floor pump. But when you stop to think that - perhaps- this just might be the last floor pump you'll ever have to buy, then things maybe become a different story for you. 

Sure- If you never use floor pumps, are the type of cyclist that rides only on really nice days, and only has one, maybe two bicycle- Okay. This is overkill for you. If, however, you ride more often than not, all year long, and own several bicycles? This should be on your radar. Did you spend thousands on your bike? This pump should be considered for that bike. Use your head. I think after careful consideration that a floor pump that is serviceable, has durable, long-lasting performance, an accurate gauge, and is easy to use for decades, that you might begin to see that yes- this pump is worth 200 bucks. Because SILCA is only ever going to sell you one of these. It's truly all you'll ever need. 

Those other pumps.....? 

3 comments:

Phillip Cowan said...

Awww dangit! How am I gonna explain this one to the wife? Haha. Now I gotta have one.

scottg said...

The #1 reason to buy Silca, you'll be able to get spare parts for it.
I've had decent pumps that lasted for years, but broke some
Whitworth? threaded gubbin not available anywhere, and had to toss the pump.
I bought a nice looking pump recently, it lasted a month, the oddly sized
O rings sealing the piston gave out, the maker doesn't have replacements,
they did send me new pump head promptly. Ordering industrial O-rings from
the big G is only slightly cheaper than a Silca pump.

DT said...

Agreed!