Thursday, May 04, 2023

Going Flat: Part 2

I purchased some parts from Velo Orange for this project
The new project to convert the Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross (Orange Crush), to a flat bar set up is in gear and I have already procured a few bits to get where I need to go. 

The main "star" of this show hasn't arrived yet and will be the bit most folks will find the most interesting. That part will have to wait a while. My source tells me that this part will be a couple more weeks out yet. We'll see....

In the meantime, I've been on the hunt for certain items and I have some other surprises up my sleeve to add to this project. They are more accessory related, but should add to the overall effect I am after here. Stay tuned on those...

For now I want to cover what I do have in hand here and tell you why I went with these items over similar ones from other sources. So, with no further delay, here you go.....

The Velo Orange Grand Cru Zeste brakes (L) and the grand Cru Brake Levers (R)

 Way back when I was looking at getting a set up similar to what I saw on a bike that my old Trans Iowa co-director, David Pals had on one of his bikes. That was a set of Paul Components brakes and levers. I still think those are really cool bits, but at the asking price? They think those parts are pretty dear, don't they? Too dear for my meager budget. So, I ended up on some Tektro brakes which, honestly, have been nothing short of spectacular, if not somewhat pedestrian and lacking in pedigree compered to the Paul stuff. 

The Tektro's would still get the nod here, but I have a particular theme going on with this project and they do not fit it. So, I have purchased a set of Grand Cru Zeste cantilever brakes for this build. They along with the Grand Cru lever set will be every bit as good looking as the Paul stuff at a LOT less money. One pair of those Paul Components Touring brakes cost almost as much as an entire bike's worth of the Zeste brake set. Plus these are polished, which is important for the theme of the build. 

The same deal with the Grand Cru levers. Half the price of Paul stuff. I dunno...... That's hard to justify even without my meager budget constraints. And again- polished finish. Important. 

So, there you go. A little taste of what's to come with regard to ol' Orange Crush here. I'm excited to get this project rolling and I even have ride plans for this when it is finished. Stay tuned... 

No comments: