Monday, June 14, 2010

Maintaining Part II

More rain, more maintenance! I got to looking at the frozen titanium pinch bolts for the eccentric bottom bracket and broke two 5mm wrenches before saying 'no mas!

Dang! I guess all that snow riding froze the little buggers into place......forever! Galvanic corrosion is like that. I suppose I could try the "hot wrench", but that doesn't appeal to me on several levels.

34 X 20T gearing is what I am stuck with for single speeding now. Not the end of the world, mind you, but it does go against "T-6 Brent's Rule Of Single Speeding". I'm supposed to be on to an 18 tooth cog out back now, (actually, a seventeen tooth cog!), and this gear I originally set the Dillinger up with was with snow riding in mind. Well, what can ya do? I guess I'll have to make up for it by taking the Dillinger to somewhere with steeper, or longer climbs.

Actually, that sounds quite fun. 

More maintenance to be done yet, so back down to The Lab!

3 comments:

George said...

You can come visit me, that's a good gear for out here!

Guitar Ted said...

@George: Oh yeah? Did I also mention that it has been raining here pretty much off and on to the point of making the trails unrideable too?

It's making your offer more tempting all the time.

paxtoncoyote said...

I've been running 32/16 now on the gravel around here & it's quite a slug at times, especially with soft roads with all the rain we've been getting. hoping it will pay off if I ever get out to Potter's Pasture or out west this summer, the PBR is still good with that gearing too!