Sunday, October 12, 2014

Trans Iowa V11: A Look At The Rules Part 5

You're on yer own out there!

Last year I did a historical overview of each Trans Iowa up to T.I.V9. This year I am going to revisit something that I feel many folks have overlooked for a long time; The "Race Rules".
 
 Last week I covered Rule #3, this week I move on to.....

 4: Prearranged outside support is not allowed. This includes, but is not limited to assistance with navigation, delivery of supplies, lighting, or lodging.

 Like I stated in last week's discussion, this rule was likely lifted from the Great Divide Race rule's, or was from a similar event. I'm pretty sure the lodging mention is a tip off that this is straight out of the GDR's rules, because we never would have needed a rule for this in hindsight! This rule was in there to help squelch anyone's idea that they would cache supplies along the route or were thinking about having someone meet them along the way to resupply them.

Of course, we had a plan in place to allow for folks to get what they needed to survive a 300+ mile trek across Iowa on gravel roads. We'll get to that next week!

Now Trans Iowa is even stricter in the sense that we do not allow anyone else outside of riders to help other riders. Convenience stores are all you get out there, and these days, it seems they are harder and harder to find open during the overnight hours.

But that's what makes finishing a Trans Iowa that much more special.

Next Week: A rule with humor.

No comments: