Thursday, May 14, 2020

Testing For The Single Speed Century: Part 2.1

New tires.
Yesterday I shared with you all about these new Vittoria Terreno XC tires. Well, I got them mounted and test ridden yesterday. Verdict?

These are going to be really good, I think.

There are some attributes which the Schwalbe tires had that I tried at Gravel Worlds last year that these Vittoria tires have. The really fast roll and the suppleness are both there. Equal to the Schwalbe for sure. The Schwalbe was a bigger tire though. 2.4" vs the 2.1" of the Terreno XC. I measured these new tires at 40psi and they came out at 52.2mm. That's not quite 2.1".......yet. The thing about tubeless tires is that they tend to stretch a bit. I'll give these a few days and check again. If they stay the same, I'm really okay with that.

The other thing I've noted is that these exhibit similar traction in corners and climbs that the narrower Terreno Dry 40mm tires have. That's a characteristic that the Schwalbe tires did not have at all, by the way. Another thing which is different- the profile of the Terreno XC. It has a lower "C" shape where the Schwalbe was really rounded in comparison. This makes the Terreno XC a bit more stable in loose, sandier stuff, which I got a taste of on my extensive test ride as well.

The Schwalbe tires were a tic lighter, as I recall, but these are waaaay better tires already, just judging from one ride. And the tubeless set up? Not even close! The Terreno XC tires set up with zero issues. The Schwalbe tires barely went tubeless at all, and after Gravel Worlds they pretty much would not even work tubeless no matter how hard I tried. So, I'm really pleased with these tires and I expect that they will not give me any troubles at all going forward.

Gravel travel is planned soon as a final test for these tires and set up. Stay tuned.....

7 comments:

Nebo said...

Do you think these tires would fit on Stans Crest rims?

JW said...

I would love to know if these tires fit on the Salsa Stormchaser...

S Sprague said...

GT, I mounted some of these in the 2.25 sizing on my Moots Mooto-X 29 last month. I was kinda skeptical of how fast or slow they were going to be since I had been riding Soma Supple Vitesse (42) on the bike and liked the fast rolling feel. Well, these Tereno's roll pretty well as you have noticed. Maybe not as fast as the Soma's but pretty nicely.

These have been surprising stable on loose gravel conditions too. The side knobs grab well and hold a line in all the gravel conditions here in California along the river parkway. Lot's of fine dirt over hardpack trail, gravel on hardpack and smooth "singletrack". I haven't ridden in any mud yet, so don't know how it will handle it. On pothole singletrack or breaking in a new section, the tires are pretty supple. I'll have to measure them to see if they come close to their stated sizing.

They aired up pretty easy too! Using my blaster air pump seat the bead was a now brainer too! I had the rear leak due to some older rim tape that I managed to pinch a hole in.

I look forward to reading your thoughts on these tires. Oh, my Moots is set up single speed too!

@Nebo: Yes, the mount on Stan's Crest rims, which I have done fairly easily. There a little tough getting these on but that's Stan's. I have tried and failed mounting some older Geax mtb USB tires on Stan's. I wouldn't worry about mounting these on the Crest rims.

THanks!

S.Fuller said...

Completely vain comment, but I like how the the shade of tan on these tanwalls goes with your bike compared to the previous tires you had on. :)

Guitar Ted said...

@JW, @Nebo - I would say this- They probably would clear the rear stays- but barely. Salsa says max tire size is 700 X 50mm. Thats CPSC mandated at 5mm clearance all around the tire from any frame member. I measured these at 52.2mm and stretching, most likely. That already doesn't leave much room at all.

Stand and mash up a hill and you'll flex the frame/rim combination into the stays easily. Get into any mud and the whole purpose of this bike becomes lost with that big a tire.

I just don't see any sense in even trying when the 700 X 50mm MSO has, in my opinion, minimum mud clearances already in the back.

Guitar Ted said...

@nebo - Oh! Sorry, I lumped you on with the tire/Stormchaser question. See S Sprague above. Seems like he managed to get them on.

My opinion of using Stan's rims for anything developed with UST dimensions, as Vittorias are, is that it isn't worth the hassle. YMMV. It's 2020 and I shouldn't have to deal with poor fitting tires/rims. Too many just as good options or better these days.

S Sprague said...

@GT @nebo
The UST style of bead is the TNT version but the Tereno's are only offered in a Tubeless Ready version which isn't TNT. That's a huge plus!