Tuesday, November 20, 2018

Kind Of Like It- But Not

This cuts a similar profile to something I've seen before. Hmmm.....
The whole "Adventure by Bike" deal really got kicked off about ten years ago when Salsa Cycles coined the term and used it as their catch phrase since then. Obviously, back in those days the term "gravel bike" was something only a few Mid-Westerners were even using, let alone aware of.

A lot has changed since those days, obviously. It boggles my mind, to be truthful about it. I never imagined a day when we would have "gravel specific" tires, let alone tubeless ready ones. I could go on........

But one thing always made me scratch my noggin in wonderment since 2008. That being that there are not a lot of Fargo-ish bikes out there. It took several years, but finally a Fargo imitator arose in the Bombtrack Beyond. You don't see many of those around, but it's about as close to a modern take on a Gen 1 Fargo as there is. In fact, I'd like to think it is what the Gen 1 could be today, if Salsa had not "mtb-ified" the concept.

Now that gravel bikes keep pushing the limits on tire sizes, I am starting to see other bikes that are getting "Fargo-ish". 650B and wider tires, knobby patterns, and more "braze-on zits" than you can shake a stick at. One bike that is a bit different than that is from a series that Breezer Bikes has dubbed "RADAR". An acronym standing for Road And Dirt Adventure Rig, this bike reminds me a lot of something that might result if you were to cross a Tamland and a Fargo together. You get the extra braze ons, tire clearance, and mtb drive train from the Fargo matched up with the skinnier steel tubes, geometry, and overall profile of a Tamland. The result here looks pretty cool to me.

While the RADAR Expert I have around for a while to test and review for RidingGravel.com isn't a Fargo, it is kind of like one. More so than anything that has come around since the Bombtrack Beyond. That's a good thing, if you ask me.

5 comments:

Rydn9ers said...

There is a Bombtrack dealer in Lincoln now, pretty nice looking bikes but haven't had a chance to swing a leg over any of them yet.

Exhausted_Auk said...

As Fargo-ish bikes go, the Velo Orange Piolet comes close, and has been out for several years. Admittedly, it is sold only as a frameset, not a complete.

Jason said...

G-ted, it would be great to hear your thoughts on bb drop. I know you have mentioned it before, a refresher would be good or links to your older posts on the topic would be helpful. Thanks for your informative blog!!

Leo said...

I have last years version that I bought to replace my stolen Specialized Awol. I really like it so far, however I could not get on with the cockpit. Coupled with the long TT, the stem and especially the bar reach meant I was stretched way out over the front wheel. Switching to an 80mm stem and trusty Salsa cowbells meant a much more balanced postion for me. I would agree with everything else you said, MTB gearing on a road bike = touring heaven! Look forward to reading more of your thoughts!

Manuel / Bombtrack said...

Hi Ted, just reading.. thanks for the mention! If you want to test one of our Beyonds let me know or drop me an email :) cheers from Cologne / Germany.