Wednesday, November 28, 2018

The Message: Part 2

There's a new Radio Ranch podcast up! Can you believe it?
A few weeks back I posted "The Message", a post about what one magazine was saying about the "future of gravel grinding". Well, it seems this topic is a hot one right about now. Not only was there that aforementioned online article, but Ben and I recently posted another Riding Gravel Radio Ranch podcast, #34, in which we also elaborate on where some events are going in this scene.

Things come and go, and I kinda figured as the Winter came in this topic would subside for something else, but no. I was asked to give my opinion again regarding this topic, and a few others, in a recent interview conducted by Spencer Powlison of "Velo News". In fact, I was told it may be a podcast, so look for that in the future. I'm not privy to when it might be published/posted, but whatever. It doesn't matter. What matters is that "The Message" the media is starting to ponder is "When Is Gravel Going To Die?" Basically, that's it. That's what I am getting the vibe for from these folks.

And let's face it- I've already said my piece on this in the first post about this subject. But apparently the folks from the bigger media outlets do not read my blog, because if they did, they wouldn't have to interview me. It's all right there in digital form. Read it.........

Anywho, I only have a bit more to add to this, and it was talked about, in part, in that post I linked yesterday regarding a reaction to the C.O.G. 100. (Miss it? See here) There was a bit of banter going on in a Facebook thread regarding this blog post I linked and some interesting comments about what "real gravel" is versus "corporate" feel was expressed.

Look...... Many folks say what I have done, and am doing with the C.O.G. 100 is more about "earning the experience" and not "buying one". You know, I get that. I can certainly see that there is a difference between the two things. But here's the deal from my viewpoint- there isn't anything wrong with either way. Both are valid reasons to do events and both are solid ways to get an experience. I will say the experiences are definitely not similar, though. I think that's fairly obvious to those who have done several different gravel events.

So, let the "big dogs" come and play. They will race for money and the events will bring in attention of media and industry, but in the end, that doesn't matter. The other end of the spectrum is what carried this genre' to prominence and will sustain it long after the big demo trucks, fancy finish lines, and big money are gone and forgotten. We don't need that stuff to grind gravel, but if ya want it- go for it. Now's your time.

And that's all I have to say about that.

1 comment:

CrossTrail said...

To be clear, I love big production bicycle races of all kinds, including gravel, cross, road and mountain. Since I can participate in only a few events each year, I mostly choose the small, "under the radar" gravel events because I have more fun at those. Follow your own path.