Tuesday, March 22, 2022

Country Views: Wind And Rock

Escape Route: Sergeant Rd. Bike Path
With all the snow gone now and temperatures into the 60's-70's on occasion, I think "Brown Season" is over. While it may not look much like it from today's post, Spring is afoot and "The Greening" is happening again. Just like every year I've been around here. 

So, I've now switched gears to "Country Views" for the remainder of Spring, Summer, and most of Fall. With that out of the way, let's get to the ride....

The weekend saw me working on a couple of bike repair jobs that have come my way. Now- I don't actively seek this sort of work out, mind you. So you local wrenches can relax. But, having spent well over two decades wrenching, my name comes up here and there as a resource for repairing bikes and well, sometimes the customer asks about me. I could use the extra resources I get in trade, so..... 

If you are a local to me wrench and are offended, well- do a better job of customer service and advertising then. If these people ask me to fix their bikes, I figure that they turned over a few rocks to find me, and if they are willing to look that hard for me, well then...... 

Nuff said......

The point is, I didn't get out for a ride on the weekend, because of work. Monday I took some time off to ride, because Tuesday and Wednesday the weather is supposed to turn colder and wetter. I'm not passing up a Sunny day in the 60's every time for work. Just some of the time! 

What you cannot see here is the wind. It was brutal.

Farmers are starting to get things lined up for planting season.

Well, Monday was supposed to be gloriously warm. Up into the 70's by later in the afternoon. But this time of year it gets cold at night and it takes a while to warm things up. So, it was in the mid-50's when I left for my ride. That meant a light jacket and gloves. But by the time I got about seven miles into the ride I had to stop and peel off the jacket and gloves because the temperatures were already into the 60's. 

And of course, it is March after all, so it was windy. 20mph with 30+ mph gusts out of the South. Good times! I, of course, rode straight South into it.

Aha! What do we have here?

I see! The County maintenance road grader.

The wind wasn't the whole story either. It seems that the County is certain that Spring is here to stay as the maintenance of the gravel roads has commenced. I ran across a county maintainer, and I saw where several places had fresh gravel dumps. 

Some of that rye grass cover crop is greening up nicely out South of Waterloo.

The steed of choice for the day.

Riding South was a total chore. I must have gone about nine miles straight into that wind and that was enough. But, I needed that. See, I am trying to get ready for the Gent's Race in a couple of weeks, and I am woefully out of my reckoning when it comes to riding long rides right now. 

That work was good, and I kept a steady pace. Coming back with that wind was ridiculous. Despite running up on some of the most chunk-a-licious fresh rock dumps I have seen in a while, I was carrying some speed. I was really glad I didn't choose that road to go out on! I had fresh gravel going out, but this- whatever it is they are using- is insanely chunky. 

Two hours in the bank. Better than nothing......

No comments: