Thursday, March 24, 2022

WW4M: Fyxation Mesa MP Pedals

 Note: What Works For Me, or "WW4M", is an occasional post here and there where I share what I have been using for a long time and that just, you know.......works! Also, the Standard Disclaimer applies here. Again- this works for me. Your mileage may vary.....

Fyxation Mesa MP pedals
Back in 2012, a decade ago now, I received two sets of pedals from Fyxation to review on my old site, "Twenty Nine Inches". Thus began my love for these flat, metal pinned pedals. 

I suppose that when I think about these pedals I think about two things. "Longevity" and "Value". See those black Mesa MP's there? That image is from 2012. Those pedals are still kicking ten years later after several Winters of abuse, dirt rides, gravel rides, and single tracking. 

So, durable and long-lasting equipment for cycling is a good thing. But add in the fact that the Mesa MP's have stayed below $100.00 a pair for a decade and that makes them even that much more impressive. And when I say "under $100.00 a pair", I don't mean 'just under'. No- I mean that these pedals are currently listed at $62.95 a pair on the Fyxation site right now. 

The Mesa MP's have removable and replaceable pins, which makes them even that much more of a deal. Now, I will tell you that these are not the massive 'daggers of death' pins, the like of which many MTB pedals have out there now. No, they do not stick out that far and there are maybe not as many pins as some have, but there is enough to get me by in Winter with boots, so, yeah.... Like I say- this works for me. 

I also like the impact grade nylon body with its sealed bearings. It's NOT a metal bodied pedal, and this is very important to me. Metal pedals suck the heat from your feet when it is really cold out. I can feel the difference and this is why my fat bikes all have Mesa MP pedals. (It's also why I use carbon handle bars on my fat bikes, but that's another story)  The only nit I have about these is that the metal pins can rust. But if that bums you out get the Subzero Mesa MP's which have stainless steel metal pins. I have those as well.

So, inexpensive, great grippy pins, long lasting bearings, and a durable, warm-in-Winter nylon body. That's what works for me. This set of pedals has been so good I bought a couple more, and Fyxation sent me a couple more as well a few years back here now. I have these on several bikes and I don't plan on riding my fat bikes without them. 

5 comments:

Phillip Cowan said...

I love these! You can't hardly beat'em for the price. I have them on three different bikes. The Xpedo SPRY is pretty good too but it does have a metal body so there's the issue with the cold you mentioned. I ride in 5-10's and pinned flats on just about everything these days(yes, even my road bike). I've pretty much come to accept that there's little if anything to be gained by having your feet attached to the pedals and it keeps things very simple. Sorry if I'm kicking the hornets nest here. I know some people passionately love their clipless pedals.

Stevenator said...

When I purchased my fat bike, the bike shop was adamant about carbon bars and nylon pedals. I'm forever grateful for that advice. The difference is real (for me)

Guitar Ted said...

@Phillip Cowan - Once, as a proof-of-concept, I did a Fat Bike Century and used those black Mesa MP pedals featured in this post and a pair of Vans lace-up shoes. After 100 miles my feet were perfectly fine and I don't believe that I suffered any "losses" from energy expenditures due to my using that set up.

Now- If I were a top-tier racer looking for every ounce I could squeeze out to gain an advantage on my competition? Maybe then I'm using carbon-soled shoes and clipless pedals. But yeah.... Who of us does THAT describe? Not many of us!

But if you want to, hey! Knock yourself out with that clipless pedal set up, or ride flats, or whatever... Just ride a bicycle.

I like my clipless pedals set about as loose as they go, so I'm not into the efficiencies of that sort of pedal. My reasoning for using them is that the cycling shoes I use typically have better airflow, and therefore are cooler in hot weather and dry out faster after wet crossings or brief rain showers. (And I'm not soiling a nice pair of Vans!) Vans aren't as nice that way! Although I occasionally still ride gravel with them.

tntmoriv said...

GT, I purchased these as a replacement for some old Suntour XC Bear Trap flats after reading your initial piece a few years ago. The timing of that article was perfect.
What I did not realize at the time was that the shape allows for narrower Q factor/foot placement nearer the cranks than other similar pedals
Like the Race Face Chester or others. You will see what I mean when you look at the body shapes.
That works well for my wife, and for my wider MTN Bike or Fat Bike cranks. WW4U ended up working for us!

Guitar Ted said...

@tntmoriv - Thanks for that comment. I appreciate it. I can also see what you mean about the "Q" of the Mesa MP's. Good observation!