Thursday, March 31, 2022

Guitar Ted Lube-Off: EcoSheep Lube

New, freshly cleaned Shimano 11 speed chain.
 Okay the next contender is up in the Guitar Ted Lube-Off! The Lube-Off is a totally unscientific comparison of lubricants to find the best dry lube for gravel road riding for me- Guitar Ted! If you draw any conclusions from these posts, well, that's on you! 

I also have a bit of an update on the SILCA Super-Secret lube. 

But first, let's get to Lube #2 in this round of the Lube-Off, the Eco Sheep Mountain Bike Chain Lube. This is a lanolin based chain lubricant that is 100% natural and eco-friendly. It contains the aforementioned lanolin oil, sourced from sheep's wool, and vegetable oils. Could you cook your morning eggs in it? Maybe.....but let's not find out, shall we? 

Besides the touted natural benefits and "high performing chain lubrication" claims, I have to take the Eco Sheep people to task a bit for a lack of instructions on just how they recommend using this stuff. Obviously, I have the privilege and benefit of having been a bicycle mechanic for 29 years. I have a few things figured out. But for the vast majority of folks, this is a severe oversight in marketing. So, be aware that there is little to go on as far as application techniques, when to reapply, etc. 

That said, I found the product easy to use with its integrated brush/can cap vessel the Eco Sheep stuff comes in. Now looking at their web site, it seems as though the company is transitioning to traditional drip style plastic bottles, which I understand from a marketing perspective, but this is disappointing for those who want to be able to up-cycle or recycle the older can style container. 

The unique can style container has an integrated application brush.

I applied the Eco Sheep lubricant with the brush, basically "painting" it on the chain and then I worked it in to the rollers with my finger tips. Then I back pedaled the chain several minutes. I followed this up with a shifting of all the gears. Then I let it sit to either dry out (?) or have it take a set to the chain (?) - I am not sure how the lubricant adheres to the metal in this case. So, there is another question the site could answer, but I have no idea at this point. 

Well, there it is! Eco Sheep Chain Lube. Hard to tell I did anything, right?

The oil is thin, not too runny, and coats on in a thin layer. It never ran or dripped off, like some other lubricants will do. It seemed to "soak in", if that makes sense, and even after I was finished, I barely got a thin film of the stuff on my finger after running it across the chain rollers. 

So, the plan is to let that sit for a day or more until I can get the Raleigh out to ride it. That may be later into next week at this point. I might try to get out on a quick test loop before that though. It should be interesting to see how lanolin oil does on a bicycle drive train. 

SILCA Super-Secret Chain Lube Update: After I posted earlier this week about the SILCA Super-Secret Chain Lube, I got a comment from Josh at SILCA. (Yes- the owner of the company) He mentioned that I might try to do another application of the Super-Secret lube and use a micro-fiber towel after it dries up completely for even better lubricant penetration into the chain. 

I thought that this was a valuable tip and I wanted to share it outside of the comments section where many would never have seen it. I also suggested to Josh that these tips and recommendations should be on an instructional paper which could ship with the product and live on the website as well. 

Okay, that's it for now. Look for updates coming soon!

 I bought the SILCA "Super-Secret" Lube and the EcoSheep Mountain lubricants for this round of the Lube-Off. I was not paid nor bribed for these posts and I try to give you my honest thoughts and opinions throughout.

No comments: