Wednesday, March 23, 2022

Choosing

Could it be the Tamland Two?
 So, a disclaimer first: I have a LOT of bicycles that are pretty nice and this entire post is probably not very relevant to many of you readers out there. So, understand that I have nothing to worry about in terms of "what bike to use". I have what many would say is a 'first world problem' I fully understand that. But I am writing a blog post and this is the subject, so....

Gents Race. It is coming up real soon, and I have not many miles in my legs yet. Well.....that's not news. generally I don't have much for miles by this point in the year due to event planning. That is not an excuse this year. 

So what? Well, this plays into what I want to go with for my Gents Race rig, and mind you, this is the last Gents Race that they are putting on. Or so they say. I mean, they could pull a 'Tom Brady' on us all and have another Gents Race next season. Who knows? I have no other option but to believe them now. I guess I'd better be careful what I put my faith in, right? 

Or it could be this one.....
Anyway, I was originally thinking of pulling out my Twin Six Standard Rando v2, but..... It is a single speed and riding that with geared riders in an event where you are supposed to be sticking together may not work so well. Then there is the highly likely possibility of strong winds the day of the event. I've ridden in this event many years and can think of maybe one- maybe two years that it was not really windy. Some years it was ridiculously windy. A single speed would be no good. 

Not when I'm not really ready to grind out 65 miles, or whatever they have for a course there, in poor conditions. I'd need to feel more confident than I do with my fitness to go single speed at this point.

...or maybe this bicycle.

Which is kind of a bummer for me because I think I rode the first one on my Black Mountain Cycles when I first got it and that was when it was still a single speed bike. I thought maybe I'd grab that one for old time's sake, but yeah..... Single speed. 

I could do it anyway, but I don't have to when I have other gravel bikes. Back in 2011, the BMC was my gravel bike. As in- the only one. I know we forget sometimes, but a specific bicycle for gravel did not exist when I did the first Gent's Race in 2011. 

Now? Pfffft! You cannot turn around and not knock over a gravel bike. They are everywhere! And I have.....gulp.....five gravel bikes! Five? Well, add in my Fargo, my Pofahl, and my old Karate Monkey to that list, and maybe even my fat bikes, because all are up for gravel use in my mind. But 'gravel specific'? Well then- Five. That's nuts! 

Since two of them are dedicated to single speed use now, I''ll choose from my three geared gravel bikes. Any one of them would do fine. Any one of them would be an advantage to me in my sorry state of fitness right now. So, don't go feeling sorry for me. I have it covered, and I am privileged, I get it. But I still have to do one thing.

Choose.

9 comments:

Rydn9ers said...

Bummed that I'll miss out on this one but I am really glad that myself and a bunch of Lincoln/Omaha folks got out there and rode a few of them.

NY Roll said...

When it comes to Boone/Story county gravel, think sandy gravel. I would always error to a 38+ or wider tire. I know this does not help.

Guitar Ted said...

@Rydn9ers - I am glad that you had the experience of the Gents Race also. It's going to be remembered for a long time.

Guitar Ted said...

@N.Y.Roll - Yes, yes.... I know that! Thanks Mom! ;>)

Tomcat said...

Have fun out there GT! Had no idea it was the last one, otherwise i would've been more aggressive trying to find a team.

Guitar Ted said...

@Tomcat - Thanks! I'm sorry that you didn't get in on a team.

MG said...

I’d go with the MCD.

Guitar Ted said...

@MG - FINALLY! Somebody with some solid advice! ;>) Ha! Thanks Brother! It would be the second time I've used it there.

Barturtle said...

I've just gotten my Tamland One off the trainer (it's been there for 3 years!), and damn it's a nice ride. I would lean that way.