Friday, February 03, 2023

Friday News And Views

Esker's new 2023 Hayduke (Image courtesy of Esker)
Esker Introduces New Hayduke:

The newest Esker Hayduke for 2023 features a geometry centered around 29 inch wheels and an "all-day" ride feel in its ChroMo steel frame. 

The frame features all the mounting points you might want for bike-packing or adventure cycling. The frame is dropper post compatible and uses externally routed cables with full-run houings and an internally routed dropper post seat tube. The frame also uses the tried-and-true threaded type bottom bracket with a 73mm width. 

The Hayduke can also be fitted with recommended widths of 29'er tires of 2.2" - 2.8" in width. The wider end of that spectrum requires adjustment of the stepped, Portage Dropout to its longer settings. 

Esker offers frames or two different complete builds in three colors and five sizes. See the site for more details. 

Comments: This looks like a decent 29"er hard tail which, when set up with the recommended 120mm travel suspension fork, should handle most anything anywhere. Not too slack or low, and not too steep and short here. Just a nicely designed steel hard tail frame. 

The price seems reasonable at 1G for the frame too. I'd likely go for this if I was into a hard tail for MTB. But as it stands, I have a bike coming that would do similar things and I don't need a dedicated MTB hard tail at this point. Maybe you do? Check it out....

Haley Smith (Image courtesy of Maxxis Factory Race Team)

Interviewed Again:

Recently I was contacted by Haley Smith, of Maxxis Factory Racing, and a researcher at the Queen's University at their School of Kinesiology and Health Studies, for an interview which would be a part of a research study on gravel cycling, its culture, and concerning how that might be preserved and explained to future event RD's, team managers, etc. 

Now, bear in mind, when I was contacted by Ms Smith, I did not know anything about her, or that she has been and currently is an elite level mountain biker/gravel cyclist. 

I just thought she was a research student from Queen's University in Canada. Which, honestly, was a good thing. I went into this with zero preconceived notions about the study, what the outcomes may be, nor did I care, frankly. That's probably something that made this interview more worthwhile for both Ms Smith and I, in my opinion. I just let the hair down and was as "real" as I could be, which, if I had to guess, is exactly what Ms Smith would have been hoping.

Anyway, it was fun and if you know me, I like to talk, so it was easy as well. Okay, now what about this study? What does it mean? What will happen with all this research? 

I do not know, actually. I have a clue, a hint, but nothing more. But here is my takeaway- Colleges are doing freaking research into what makes the grassroots gravel thing tick! This is a new level of "I never would have guessed it" in terms of where this thing has gone and where it came from. College level, peer reviewed, scientific research? Are you kidding me? 

I am not the only person they are conducting interviews with either. The aim, according to what Ms Smith relayed to me, was to cast as wide a net across all classes and types of humans that are involved in gravel riding as possible. So, that's even radder than I would have imagined. Just really unbelievable.

I mean, ten years ago we were wishing we could get a good gravel tire or two! Just think about that for a minute! Now the gravel scene is being seriously studied at the collegiate level? Nuh-uh! No way! But it is......  

New S-Phyre glasses (Image courtesy of Shimano)

Shimano Announces Second Gen Eyewear:

The new Aerolite and S-Phyre eyewear pieces are out now from Shimano. The S-Phyre being the expensive, high-end glasses with the Aerolite being the more budget oriented option here. 

The big deal here, as I see it, is that the lenses, which are interchangeable via magnetic contacts, is that Shimano engineered the lenses to have specific functions. One of the six options is specified as being best for "gravel".

Well, that's a bold claim, and what it amounts to is a claimed ability to see contrasts in surfaces and to be able to be used across gravel, dirt, or pavement. I dunno..... This sounds more "all-around" than a glass that is for gravel specifically. 

And maybe I'll get to find out. Word is that Riding Gravel is getting a pair in to test. Stay tuned..... 

Image courtesy of Ritchey Design

Ritchey Announces WCS "Gravel Grip":

Looking a lot like a track grip, Ritchey Design announced on Wednesday a new drop bar grip they call the "WCS Gravel Grip". (Of course!) It is meant to slip on over the extensions of the drops and provide grip and vibration damping with its 4mm closed cell foam construction. They go for $14.95 a set. 

Comments: Honestly, not a new idea here. I am pretty sure ESI makes, or made a grip similar to this which I was using back ten years ago or more. (Note: Yes, these are still available here) I also used an ergonomic style grip from Redshift Sports here

The idea is sound, but unless you - you know - actually use the drops, this idea is lost on you. Many people could just as well cut off the drops below the levers and never miss a beat. So, this is a limited use idea, and while it may sound appealing, one needs to review how they use a drop bar to begin with. 

But if you do use the drops a lot, this is a nicely priced option. They look great, and I suspect they do what is claimed, based on my experiences with the ESI and Redshift options I have used. 

Guitar Ted has a "Garage Sale"!

Guitar Ted's Garage  Sale:

Just a quick reminder that I maintain a "Garage Sale" page here on this blog where I list items I want to move on from. The items get changed from time to time, so it is worthwhile checking back to see if I posted anything new for sale there.

I've put a bunch of new items in there recently in case you haven't looked in a while. All items are either gently used or N.O.S. items I have been collecting over the years. I will and have had anything from bikes, frames, forks, and even accessory items like tents and clothing in there from time to time.

That's a wrap on this week. Have a great weekend and start off February right with a bike ride!

1 comment:

teamdarb said...

If you ever wonder who keeps clicking the garage.....it's me. Give it a bit more circulation of items.