Thursday, August 15, 2024

A Couple Of Changes

I promise this is THE seatpost now!
 There has been a couple of tweaks done recently on two of my bicycles that I thought bore mentioning. They aren't a big deal, necessarily, but I have my reasons that some might find interesting, or at least amusing. 

I will admit I may have a bit of the "Princess and the Pea" syndrome going on here, so please bear that in mind as I detail these changes. 

So I had a bunch of issues with the original seatposts I was trying to use with the Honeman Flyer and found out later that one, especially, was undersized. That slipping seat post thing drove me mad for a bit until I settled upon using a PRO Discover post I had when I realized that set-back seat posts weren't unusable with this new single speed bike. 

Then the Redshift ShockStop Endurance Pro post came along and next thing ya know I am swapping out seat posts with a "boing factor" left and right for a bit. I really thought I might have settled on the Redshift post, the PRO Race model, actually, but I just never really warm up to sus posts. I guess its the changing saddle height thing. It eventually gets on my nerves and I finally couldn't take it anymore with the Honemann Flyer. Especially because I do seated climbing on it more often than not, and you are mashing teh gear then, of course, which activates the post. Not good for me. (Remember - Princess and the Pea!)

So, I was scrounging around for something and came across my "extra" Salsa titanium Regulator post. Yes! It was an extra one because I have four of them! Anyway, I was appalled that it wasn't being used and as I had a search on for a post for the Honemann Flyer I was only too happy to swap the Redshift post out for this titanium one. Now seated climbing is great! 

It's titanium grey, and a bit out of place, maybe, but I don't care at this point. This is THE post now going forward. 

You cannot really see the stem, but it is different. Oh! And there is another Regulator post!

Then I had the case of the Singular Gryphon Mk3. Originally I had this bike set up with the Ragley Luxy Bar which determined the full-length housing runs for the brakes and derailleurs. Then I got that Tumbleweed handlebar, which was nice, really wide, and stressed the cable lengths badly. 

Eventually even a shorter stem wasn't going to help, and then I got the Redshift Short ShockStop Stem and while I was installing that I decided the Tumbleweed bar had to come off. I was not about to re-cable the entire bike for a wider bar. 

So, now I am back to that Luxy Bar and the cables and housings are all happy again. Plus I have the boinger stem on there which makes things extra-comfy. So, there is the Gryphon Mk3 as it stands now. 

Time to ride.

6 comments:

Ari said...

Some people complain about slippage on those Salsa posts. Is it a matter of incorrect installation on their part?

Guitar Ted said...

@Ari - I had an issue with my very first Regulator post rotating in the clamp when those posts first came out. The Salsa engineer I ended up communicating with asked me to dry to fit the clamp parts dry - no grease or ti-prep. This is what eventually solved my problem. However, Salsa continued to instruct people to use ti-prep and lubricant to assemble the parts.

I assume that because the post instructions tell people to lubricate certain parts of the clamp is why they have issues. ALL four of my posts are assembled dry and unless I come down HARD on the saddle (hard enough to injure myself) my saddles don't move.

james said...

GT
You state "when I realized that set-back seat posts weren't unusable with this new single speed bike." Did you think a 0 offset was the only option becacause of the slack seat angle?

Guitar Ted said...

@james - Originally I was contemplating a forward offset seat post for fear I wouldn't get along with a 70 degree seat tube angle. However; I found that not only was that not necessary, but - for myself - the offset rear post actually worked fine.

james said...

@GT,-A few years back, I picked up a used Rivendell Appalousa. It too has a slack seat tube, I belive around 70-71 or so degrees. I thought I wouldn't get along with the relaxed seat angle. Boy was I wrong. I have grown to really like that position. Slack is where it's at...at least for me. It has moved me to get ride of a couple of bikes becasue the seating position was too steep.

Guitar Ted said...

@james - Thank you for sharing that. I've heard a similar comment or two from a couple of other people. It makes you wonder if we've gone astray a bit with regard to geometry.