Saturday, August 03, 2024

Review: Lazer Strada Kineticore Long-Term

Note: Lazer Helmets sent over a Strada Kineticore helmet last year to Guitar Ted Productions for test and review. I was not paid, nor bribed for this review. I will always strive to give you my honest thoughts and opinions throughout the review. 

Last year in October or so I received a Lazer Strada Kineticore helmet for test and review. The "quick review" of that helmet can be seen HERE in case you missed that. 

Well, going into colder weather does not provide the best kind of testing weather for a helmet. I did mention in that review how the helmet fit me. I am a "size-challenged" helmet person having a 63cm around head measurement, or 7 7/8ths for you who know hat sizing. My head is more of an oval than round, so that figures into this review as well. 

I was somewhat surprised that the Strada would even be a viable choice for me. More often than not I have to ditch every pad and Velcro patch from inside a helmet liner or shell to even get a somewhat acceptable fit with a minimum of pain involved. Honestly, it is a wonder I wore a helmet at all for many years. 

The Lazer Strada Kineticore helmet wins for me just because it actually fits and I kept the pads in it. Now while it is true that my long-ish head leaves a bit of room on either side of the Strada, it works, it doesn't hurt to wear it, and how does it work in warmer weather? I'd be happy to tell you.

It is a rare thing for me to have helmet pads in my skid-lid.

I started wearing the Strada again when the weather broke earlier this year and I've worn it on a few hot rides also. It actually is fine. I wouldn't say that it is the best venting helmet I've ever tried. That prize went to a strange aero helmet I tested for Riding Gravel a few years back. But this helmet is cool enough and it fits my head. That other helmet did not fit well at all. 

I know I mentioned this in my previous article on this helmet, but I can wear this helmet with a Buff head covering or a bandana. I imagine a cycling cap would fit as well, but I don't have any good ones anymore to try that out. 

The fact is the Strada fits with those items on my head and I have the pads in yet. Amazing. I have lauded the fit of the Bontrager Starvos and Circuit helmets for my large noggin, but even with those helmets I had to remove all the padding from to get them to fit my head. So, there is some context for you.

The fit of the Strada is enhanced by their adjustable cradle. Lots of helmets feature an adjustable cradle of some sort, usually utilizing a dial or knob to make adjustments. The Strada uses a unique rotating "track" at the rear of the helmet which faces the exterior of the shell. Lazer calls it the "ScrollSys". This may seem odd at first, but if you have a gloved hand, it is a simple swipe of the palm there to make a minor adjustment instead of fiddling around, trying to locate a dial or knob in the rear of the shell cavity. 

The Strada also has an accessory "AeroShell" which you can purchase and use to close off the vents. It basically snaps over the helmet and would be a great accessory for colder riding or inclement weather. I did not test this but I have seen a previous version of that system on a Lazer helmet. 

Let's see, what about any negatives here? Well I feel that the skull cradle comes forward a bit too much at the bottom making the Strada a bit of a fussy get-on at times. That's a minor complaint though. Then there is the webbing junction at the chin strap which never stays in one place. However; it is easily adjusted, so there is a counter to the negative point there. 

Final Word:

I like this helmet. At the current $109,00 price it is a pretty solid value. Especially if you have a larger head. It is definitely a good alternative to the other choices in this category for folks with big heads. 

My comp to this helmet, the Bontrager Starvos, is a "WaveCell" helmet which has this funky, wavy cell-like honeycomb appearance to its inner liner which doesn't allow the sort of airflow that the Strada helmet does. So, I think for warm weather riding the Strada is a bit better, plus in cold weather you have the optional "AeroShell" piece that you could use to close off the vents. 

The fit adjustment using the "ScrollSys" is also an easier to use feature, so I would give the Strada the nod here as far as the two helmets go. That said, Trek seems to be closing the Starvos out at the time of this writing, and you can pick one of those up for about half off. So there is that.

The bottom line for me - and this is just my personal take on the Strada - is that the Strada is better by far because I did not have to remove the pads to make it work for my head. That ultimately tips the scales for myself, because just getting a helmet on my head is a major accomplishment. To have it fit with zero modifications? Amazing.

3 comments:

Phillip Cowan said...

Slightly OT but it's funny you should mention the Bontrager Starvos. Recently my wife drug me along on one of her thrifting expeditions. While standing there bored to tears while she pawed through the clothes I spotted a black helmet in the sporting goods section. I figured it was a Wally World special.It was a brand new Starvos with the tags still on it. I tried it on and it seemed to fit better than my Smith. Best part is it was marked $6.00. I'm guessing some local shop donated it because of the close out you mentioned. I too suffer from a mild case of"George Lopez" syndrome (hat size 7 3/4). The Lazer sounds good. I'll keep that one in mind.

Guitar Ted said...

@Phillip Cowan - Once again showing that being patient and observant can pay dividends. :>)

MG said...

I’ve had a great experience with the Strada KinetiCore as well. Especially given the bargain price, it’s a super nice helmet. Compared to the higher-end Z1 the ventilation isn’t quite as good, but the fit and ease of adjustability are as good as it gets.