Wednesday, August 14, 2024

A Trip To See A Long Missed Friend

A barn in Illinois along HWY 20
 "I can't believe you are sitting here in front of me! It's like a dream or something!", exclaimed Ari Andonopoulous as we sat in a local bar eating burgers. His reaction to my presence can be explained because it had been seven years since we'd seen each other. That's a long time! Especially when we were used to seeing each other at least once a year, if not more.  

Trans Iowa was a gravel race. But it was a lot more than that. Trans Iowa was a conduit for making friends. Many riders made connections at Trans Iowa which have lasted until now and likely will for the lifetime of those people. I have known this about others, but it also applies to myself. 

Ari came to Trans Iowa v4 in 2008. This was he and his friend, Michael Roe's, (better known as Dr. Giggles to some) first Trans Iowa. Ari subsequently attended every Trans Iowa up to v13 in 2017. We would spend at least a little time each year catching up, and sometimes a lot of time catching up. I also was able to ride the 2015 "Mud Year" at the Dirty Kanza 200 with Ari, a time I shan't easily forget. 

But Ari had to miss Trans Iowa v14, the last of the series, and since then we just hadn't been able to coordinate a meeting. Of course, Covid had a say in that as well. So, seven years! It was far too long a time. But a chance for me to tag along to Chicago for a concert trip my daughter and a friend were making from here to see a K-Pop group afforded me and Mrs. Guitar Ted that opportunity. I decided to make it happen. 

It isn't every day you see that vehicle!

I left shortly after work on Saturday. Mrs. Guitar Ted did all the driving,as I don't see all that well these days to drive. Not in 80mph city traffic anyway. Plus I hate driving in big cities. So, anyway... 

We got to our motel which was located adjacent to the lovely O'Hare International Airport and right near the All State Arena where the concert was to be held. Not a sight that would offer any hope of interesting, inspiring feelings. However; on this evening, the Oscar Mayer "Wiener-mobile" made an appearance. I can now check that off my list of things to see in Life! 

Throughout this time I had been letting Ari know where I was and when, but there was no real plan to make our meeting happen until Sunday. Things worked out to where I was able to have Mrs. Guitar Ted drop me off at Ari's home and we were able to spend the afternoon and evening together. Mrs. Guitar Ted took Ari's daughter, who was just about my daughter's age, to be with my daughter and her friend so they could geek out on K-Pop idol stuff all afternoon. When the concert time came Mrs. Guitar Ted brought Ari's daughter back and we all had a wonderful meal of local pizza with Ari, his wife, and daughter. 

Ari and I. Image taken by Giuletta Andonopoulous

In between my arrival and departing Ari shared a lunch with me at the aforementioned bar, we had a tour of his bicycles, his garage shop, and a good laugh or three. 

Ari, like myself, has worked as a bicycle mechanic for many years. He has managed to collect one amazing bicycle fleet which I was blown away by. Mostly steel road bikes, but peppered in there were a lot of really interesting bikes that were super-cool. 

And then there is Ari's "garage". You cannot park a car in it. I find that fitting somehow! Anyway, Ari has his tools all perfectly arranged on pegboard and tool boxes full of tools. Plastic storage boxes filled with parts are stored on baker's racks. It really is a bicycle geek paradise. Other folks would likely find his garage wasted space, but I would submit these people just don't get it. 

One thing I am excited about is that Ari and I recorded a conversation about how different early gravel riding was compared to today's scene. I forgot to bring my podcasting machine so I recorded our conversation in Garage Band on my phone.  You can check that out on the "Guitar Ted Podcast", link below. 

Ari's shop

There was a LOT more spoken about things not related to bicycles between us that I cannot share here. I will only say that Ari and I have an ease of conversation and we seem to be able to be pretty transparent with each other. I wish he lived closer to me or vice-versa. Seven years being away meant that there was no way to catch up. Not really. However; we did have a great time, and it was apparent to me that leaving this friendship for that long a time to be dormant is not an option going forward. 

Eventually it got late and we had to leave to pick up my daughter and her friend, and then Monday morning I left the Chicago area for Iowa again. I won't miss Chicago, if I am honest, but I do hope to see Ari again well before seven more years pass by. 

A special shout out to Ari and his family for their tremendous hospitality and kindness to myself and my family. 

Note: You can listen to some audio of some of our conversation from Ari's garage Sunday in the latest Guitar Ted Podcast HERE.

3 comments:

Ari said...

That was a great day I will never forget. Also a lesson learned to not let time slip away like it did. Thank you for coming out! I really appreciate it.

Guitar Ted said...

@Ari - Yes, let's try to get together again soon!

MG said...

That had to have been a super fun day… Ari is a top notch guy, ironically who I first met at TIv4. It was a weekend that taught me a lot about gravel riding (humbled me is probably a better description).