Monday, August 12, 2024

I Was A Sponsored "Athlete"

 In celebration of the twentieth year of this blog, I have a few tales to tell. This post is one of them. This series will occur off and on throughout this anniversary year, I hope to illuminate some behind-the-scenes stories and highlights from the blog during this time. Enjoy!

When I started the blog in May of 2005 at the insistence and with the aid of Jeff Kerkove, he was a sponsored athlete doing solo 24 hour long mountain biking events. It was a very unique experience working with Jeff seeing all that went into his relationships with sponsors, how he worked for them, and how he curated an influence for those sponsors via his writing on his blog. 

I will keep on saying this as long as I don't meet someone that can best Jeff in this, but he was the most disciplined person I've ever met. I know that it is popular to bring down the status of "sponsored athletes" in some circles, but I saw first hand what Jeff invested into being the kind of athlete a company would sponsor. And like I have said, I have yet to get to know anyone that spent the time and had the dedication to a singular purpose as Jeff did. He earned every sponsorship he ever received and more. So, I know that most likely a lot of these other sponsored folks are also investing heavily at the expense of relationships, fun, relaxing, doing other work, and on and on. Things you and I take for granted, like having a drink, a snack, or staying up late or sleeping in are not options for these folks. 

A box of goods I received as a sponsorship from T-6 in 2007.

So, when a surprise box arrived for me filled with Twin Six gear in late 2007, I was flabbergasted. There was a letter telling me I was a "sponsored T-6 rider" now, and that they were setting up a page on their site which would have my bio, and all that. 

What?!!

People like Jeff get sponsored, not Guitar Ted, because I was a flabby, linebacker-sized dude that wasn't all that fast and well...... What?!!

But it was true. In fact, I was on the Twin Six racing team for two years until the folks up their in The Cities finally came to their senses. What is funny is that from that sponsorship I still have the water bottles and maybe a pair of socks yet! 

This sponsorship was surely tied to this blog's existence and my growing stature as a 29"er guy, along with my involvement in Trans Iowa. Surely it was not due to my athletic prowess! For a sarcastic take on my getting sponsored, check out my post in response at the time HERE.

No comments: