Thursday, August 01, 2024

Wheel Decisions

About three months ago now I was riding the Tamland Two with the Irwin carbon wheel set and I experienced some free hub issues. You can check that post out HERE. Since then that Irwin wheel set has been sitting around and every once in a while while I see it in my shop I start to think about what I can do with the wheels. 

I go back and forth with ideas. I was pretty set on tearing them down to rims, spokes, and hubs on Tuesday but when I went down to take care of that I took one more look at the free hub. See, all along I haven't been able to see why the free hub was not engaging properly at random times. It made no sense. I could see no damage at all, no excessive wear, nothing.

And the end cap I removed to get the free hub body off to inspect things three months ago had been misplaced. gah! So, I dug through my stash of end caps and found some more Irwin compatible ones which got me sorted. I reassembled the free hub, put it back together, and it sounds and feels awesome. gah! x2...

I just hate to have to tear something apart if it isn't really necessary, and swapping these rims to new hubs probably will mean buying spokes and nipples and obviously more time and energy. gah! x3!

The Irwin wheels still have tires mounted tubeless to them, so what I think I am going to do is to relegate these wheels to my very local to me test loop. That way, if they fail I can walk back home with no real issues. If they prove to be reliable, well then the problem is solved. Anyway....

Never been used!

Then there is this other wheel set. I have a Velocity disc hub wheel set with Bontrager RXL rim brake rims laced to them. The hubs are disc. I know......weird! Let me explain....

Probably over ten years ago Velocity USA sent me a set of Major Tom disc wheels as payment for advertising on "Gravel Grinder News", the gravel site that morphed out of this blog starting in 2008. There was scuttlebutt going around that a bigger tubular tire for gravel was coming out, but...... I was ready with the wheels, and the tires were vaporware. Oh well....

Now I had this wheel set with no inclinations of running tubular tires ever. I ended up swapping the rims out with the current Bontrager RXL Scandium aluminum rims which I picked up on close-out from Trek. Then I figured I'd use them on my Black Mountain Cycles "Orange Crush", but right about that time I decided that the Orange Crush was going back to a single speed soon. So the wheels hung from the ceiling in the shop, and I have never used them. 

I had thought about using the hubs with the Irwin carbon rims, and maybe that is what will end up happening, but I don't know..... Decisions between choices. Never fear! I'll likely come up with more ideas of what to do which will freeze my situation for the foreseeable future. 

I'm good a6t doing that!

No comments: