|Not that there was anything wrong with this....|
The width of these was right up my alley for my Big Dummy at 2.4"s. Those coupled with my 47mm wide Northpaw rims would be a great combination. I knew this since I had a 2.4" XR-1 blackwall 26" tire on the front of my bike already. The original owner had installed a 2.1 XR-1 in the rear to clear a rear fender. I have no intentions of putting a fender on this bike, so I figured the 2.4"er in the back would be a good upgrade. Cue the order process for two G-Zero whitewalls in 2.4" width and within days I had them in hand.
|The old Surly rim strips had stretched dangerously thin. Time for a change.|
I had done a rim strip on my fat bike to replace some "chrome" colored duct tape that had flaked away to a dull gray. I wanted that shiny, silver look, and I found some aluminum duct tape, (read real duct tape), that is super sticky on the back and actually an aluminum foil type front so it would stay shiny for a longer time. It worked really well, despite it being a bit stiff when installed. I thought I'd give it a shot for the Big Dummy wheels, as a shiny rim strip would work well against the black of the frame and fork and still look good with the ano red stuff on the bike.
As I said, the tape was a bit stiff, and the inner rim well of the Northpaw rim is pretty "U" shaped. I wasn't sure if the tape would lay down in there correctly. Fortunately the width was spot on, and although the tape was a bit wrinkled in spots, after a tube was pressed against it when the tire was installed it seemed to straighten out to look just fine.
|The tape straightened out to look just great after the tires were inflated to pressure.|
|First ride of 2017. Grocery getting......|
I think the rig has that "long black Cadillac" look to it now, and by the reactions I've gotten to it on the street so far, I think others agree. The XR-1-ish tread is perfect for pavement to dirt, and I even got across some crusty snow okay, so there is a bit more flotation with this rear tire than with the 2.1"er that I had before. I am pretty happy with the way it all worked out. Now for a chain deflection solution, which I have a good idea for what I will do there, and I'll be good to go.