Monday, September 02, 2019

Happy Labor Day!

My work bench viewed through a valve hole and around a rim as I build a wheel.
Happy Labor Day!

It is a holiday weekend, the last "real" holiday until Thanksgiving weekend. (Halloween doesn't count for me. That's for kids!) Anyway, this is the holiday that, at least here in the U.S.A., marks the "end of Summer".

So, just what is this holiday for? 

A little Google action brought me the following:

 "Labor Day, the first Monday in September, is a creation of the labor movement and is dedicated to the social and economic achievements of American workers. It constitutes a yearly national tribute to the contributions workers have made to the strength, prosperity, and well-being of our country."

Ah! So, back when I was a kid, I wasn't far off the mark when I thought Labor Day was for and about people like my Dad who worked in factories and were members of labor unions. I never thought it would ever be for me. Ya know..... because I was never going to work in a factory. Had you ever been in one of those dreadful places in the 80's or before, you might know what I mean. I saw the place where my Dad worked on a tour in the late 70's. No way was I gonna get stuck in one of those joints! 

But I got what Labor Day meant for my Dad. He was a Union guy. He built tractors in the Oliver factory which became White Farm after the change in the early 70's. But me? I wasn't part of that "labor scene", a member of a union, or what have you. 

Now days though, I see Labor Day in a different light. We have laborers that are not in factories. They don't belong to a union, and are not organized. What about that? They shouldn't be celebrated? their accomplishments for the betterment of everyone shouldn't be included in Labor Day? Heck no! They should all be included!  Anyone who works should get in on this holiday. Don't think like I did and think it isn't for you. Take a break. Relax.....

We all could use a little slowing down a bit, yes?  

Or a nice bicycle ride? 

Happy Labor Day! 

No comments: