Wednesday, October 21, 2020

Has It Been That Long Already?

The Snow Dog as it has been for the last few years.
While contemplating where I might end up using the Archer Components D1x shifting system and the Whisky Milhouse bar, I had my thoughts light on the Snow Dog. Oh...... maybe you don't know about the Snow Dog? Well, if you've forgotten, or are a newer reader here, let me refresh your memory or bring you up to speed. I sometimes forget I've been at this for over 15 years and I don't remember there are new readers.......

Anyway, if you recall back previous to 2010, there was one fat bike. And you had to build it up. In fact, it wasn't even known then as a "fat bike". No, the Surly Pugsley wasn't a "fat bike" then, it was a snow bike. That's what everyone called them back then. And to be perfectly fair, there were more 'snow bikes' than the Pugsley, but they were all from small custom builders based out of Alaska or elsewhere that fat tired flotation bikes made sense. The "snow bike" scene was pretty niche and tiny back in those days when you had to build up a bike from parts. Surly made it easier by making a lot of what you'd need to do it, like offering a tire- yes, a single model only- so you could get on with Winter riding. 

So, keep this in mind. You couldn't just run down to the bike shop or department store and buy a bike and be riding an hour later. No. This was a long process of choosing parts, carefully putting them together in a way that was functional, and spending probably 2000 dollars or more in the process. All for a bike that, well back then anyway, we thought you might use for three months out of the year tops. It wasn't a slam-dunk bike to own back in those days. It may not be a particularly practical bike for most people in 2020, but for a few short years, "snow bikes/fat bikes" were all the rage. Once a big hurdle was cleared, that is.

The Snow Dog as it appeared in February 2011.
All that to paint a picture going into 2011 when we found out late in 2010 that Salsa Cycles was going to release a fully built, in the box, snow bike dubbed the Mukluk. The news spread like a Colorado wildfire and people were so excited that the first run of the bike sold out pre-release. Shops were holding parties where gear for Winter riding was being shown and the Mukluk was already being upgraded before anyone had one yet! I know this because I attended one such party at Milltown Cycles in Faribault, Minnesota where a young Ben Witt was the proprietor. Those were crazy days. 

Anyway, I ponied up for a Mukluk. This would have been ten years ago now this November. Ben, who was scrambling to find enough Mukluks to satisfy demand, called one day to ask me if he could sell the wheels off my bike when it came in! He mentioned that there already was an aftermarket hub set from Phil Wood that I could build a better wheel set with, so I gave my consent and ponied up for the new hubs. This meant that I would have to wait last in line to get my Mukluk. But.......what I didn't know was that Ben and some other friends had a plan.

And that plan was to buy my frame and fork for me for my birthday, which is in January. So, here poor ol' Ben was having to put me off, making up excuses as to why my bike was being delayed, until my birthday arrived in late January. To say that I was blown away by that gesture is a gross understatement. I still am amazed by their generosity. So, that's a long story to explain that this bike became the Snow Dog, because, well.....these things were snow bikes to begin with. 

Okay, a long winded story- sorry - but that should bring y'all up to the moment here and now on with it.....

I plan on switching that Archer Components D1x and the Milhouse Bar over to the Snow Dog. It just makes sense and I think it will also help make the ol' Snow Dog a useful rig again. But ya know...... If you've been around here long enough, you know I am full of ideas and many never get beyond this blog. So, don't hold your breath, but my plan is to get the Snow Dog out on a bit of a "Tenth Anniversary Tour" and celebrate the fat bike's tenth year of (complete availability) existence and my tenth anniversary of owning this bike, of course. 

Stay tuned........

4 comments:

Rydn9ers said...

Love my Pugs for gravel and bike packing but as a snow bike it makes me pucker every time I ride it. Not sure if it's because of the geometry or not but the more trail geometry fat bikes seem to handle better on snow and ice for me.

Guitar Ted said...

@Rydn9ers - Yeah, I've heard that about Pugsleys before. This Mukluk isn't quite like a Pugs, but it isn't all 'trail geo' either. Somewhere in between, I'd say. I always have gotten on with it, at any rate. My beef was always that this bike was designed for 4.0" tires max, and that is a 'skinny' fat bike tire for this ol' boy!

Alan said...

Great story, love the way your bikes have an interesting history. I’m one of those “newish” readers and appreciate the work you put into your blog.

Guitar Ted said...

@Alan - Hey, thank you for being a reader of the blog! I appreciate that very much!