Wednesday, April 02, 2008

So, It's Over Now, Right?

Fixed gear bicycles. They are the rage now, right? And as we all know, when something becomes "too cool" it reaches a tipping point, and then it just isn't cool anymore. What "cool" is and where that "tipping point" may be are certainly topics that get beaten to death, (One individual has created a whole persona around that premise) but I think I have found certifiable evidence that fixed gear bicycles have gone over center.

As if my own embracing of fixed gear wasn't a sign of the end, we now have this little gem to show us that fixed gear has reached it's nadir. Courtesy of Bicycle Retailer and Industry News (BRAIN, as it is known amongst industry peeps) who ran the link under the heading, "Fixie Cruiser Of The Day"

The fact that BRAIN decided to use that title is a tip off that this whole fixie craze is now beyond being cool, or should I say, it has ceased being cool. Yeah............probably long before this, actually! It reminds me of an excellent article by Andy Corson about this very subject.

Kinda reminds me of disco too. Yep, disco music was cool at one time. Really! Long before the Bee Gees sang in that piercingly annoying falsetto in that one movie about a certain weekend night, disco was actually something sort of underground. Then it got ruined. I wore a "Disco Sucks" t-shirt everywhere I went back then. I hated that everywhere I went, it seemed that disco music had seeped into every nook and cranny of rock and roll. I found it all disgusting. Actually, it is part of the reason I am "Guitar Ted" today.

So it stands to reason that I should get myself a "Fixies Suck" t-shirt and start wearing it around everywhere, right? Well, I would, but at least people are riding bikes and I think somebody linked earlier has beaten me to it!

No comments: