Monday, October 05, 2009

Extremes



<====Dramatic clouds hurrying along on the Northwesterly wind.

So after all the goings on of late, I was feeling a bit out of sorts. My wonderful wife saw that I needed to do something to clear out the cobwebs and get a reset of the mind. So, she graciously blocked out a chunk of Saturday for me to get out and ride a bit.

Seeing as how the dirt was soaked with the recent rains, it was a no brainer to hit the gravel. I took out the Pofahl but with a twist. I have just recently received a set of Elgokse stem/bars along with a Antler bar from Rawland Cycles. The Antler is basically a take off on a mustache bar. I didn't have enough Nokon housing to adapt the Antler to the Pofahl now, so for the time being, I ran the Elgokse as is. (By the way, elgokse is Norwegian for "moose". The stem/bar combo being a take off on the famous "Bull Moose" bars of yore.)



<===Self portrait. Happy Snappycap on cause it covers my ears! It was cold!

The difference from the ride this weekend to the week before was dramatic. Interbike was set in temps in the upper 90's to 100. Dry, windy, and dusty. Here I was riding in spitting rain, wind, and temps in the low 40's with a wind chill. A freaking wind chill! I had tights on and was wearing layers and the whole bit.

I better get used to it, eh?

I think my neighbor hit the nail on the head when he said, "It went from summer right into winter...." Well, maybe that's a bit extreme, but the change for me was a bit of a shock to the system.



<===The boondocks. A good place to get a reset of the mind, if you ask me.

And I'll get used to it soon enough, I suppose. Just to be able to ride at all is great. And the trails will dry out eventually.

So, the mind thing..........yeah. It helped to get out for a few hours. Nothing but me, the wind, and gravel. It was good.



Look for a report on the Elgokse and the Antler on Twenty Nine Inches soon. It's pretty cool. The perfect set up for the Pofahl, which was originally supposed to have a custom Bull Moose bar anyway. I'll be looking into some more Nokon housing now to string up for the Antlers. Stay tuned for that fun. Thanks Sean, Anna, and Ben! You guys are awesome!

No comments: