Wednesday, December 27, 2006

Smorgasboard of Suffering: Open 24hrs!

Note: With the end of the year looming, Guitar Ted Productions is going to take a look this week at some issues affecting the 29"er scene, endurance racing, and this blog in particular.

As the year comes to an end it's interesting to take a look at the incredible endurance racing moments that occurred during 2006. The rain outs, the severe weather effects on 24hr races, the astounding lengths that humans will go to to win a silly bike race. All these things have spurred much debate and discussion in the endurance community. It's been a wild and bumpy ride. And to think, that doesn't even begin to touch upon things like the 100 miler series, the emergence of more "under the radar" type ultra endurance races and the athletes that shone forth during the 2006 season.

First off, my hats off to all you enduro nut jobs out there. I respect all of you guys and gals immensely. For those of you that tasted sweet success, (I didn't say victory for a reason!) , congratulations. For those of you that found yourself injured, demoralized, or just generally burnt out, here's to a much better 2007!

Now we are looking at a new season and training is well under way for many of you out there. I can't wait to see what unfolds for 2007. It looks like, at the very least, to be more of the same, in terms of races and events. (Sans rain, tornadoes, and floods of biblical proportions, hopefully!) I am, of course, up to my eyeballs in the planning for Trans Iowa V3, which is looking like a record setting event for Mr. 24 and I. We expect more starters than ever before, more DNF's than ever before, and more finishers than ever before. (At least we should see finishers if the weather and time limits don't dictate otherwise!)

I'm sure T.I.V3 won't be the only event to see records fall in 2007 either. I suspect that the endurance event category will see increasing numbers of participants in 2007, much as we have seen in past years. The shift from 24hr. races to the marathons, 6/12's, and 100 milers will probably be the story in 2007 as far as events are concerned.

Personally, I am looking forwards to a successful T.I.V3, and getting back to Kansas for another crack at their 200 miler in May. I also am in the early stages of planning for another long ride (I hesitate to call this an endurance event, it's waaay too low key for that!) in the Guitar Ted Death Ride Invitational. This edition should find the event in a different part of Iowa. I have been poking around and I currently have a 111 mile route scoped out with over 3000 feet of climbing, or so says the route finder. It's not in North East Iowa and that's pretty good climbing in a state that's known for being flat. (I can't wait for you Rocky Mountain, Ozark, and East Coasters to start laughing.........go ahead! Laugh! It's not as easy as you might think!)

Beyond this madness that I somehow got wrapped up in, I want to get in on a 4 man 24hr team, or maybe a 12 hour race somewhere along the line this year. We'll see! It's gonna be a crazy year! Not just for me, but for alot of endurance racers.

There's just so much to choose from! It's like an endurance buffet that's open 24hrs!

No comments: