So it was that I was over at N.Y. Roll's house dropping off a wheel set and quaffing a PBR when, suddenly, I had an idea.
"Why hasn't anyone done anything single speed specific for gravel? Why shouldn't we have an Iowa Single Speed Gravel Championship?
Ideas can be dangerous.
N.Y. Roll got a bit excited after his initial confusion about just what the heck it was I was spouting off about, but he was excited in the end. Ideas were bounced around. Grand ideas too. Hard to say that someone of my meager assets could pull it off, but then again, single speed hooligans never need much motivation to get out there and prove that they are never in the right gear. Or right mind, some would suggest, but that's another story.
So, besides some overall crazy idea, here are some ideas we were spit ballin' to share with ya'all.
- Single speed only can enter, duh!
- Course for a championship needs to be 100 miles, in my opinion. No other distances offered.
- No support.
- Course would be maybe marked. I still don't like GPS crap. Yes......you can call me a retrogrouch.
- Might be cue sheets for nav......
- Possibly a jersey up for grabs. Special. Single Speed specific and all.
- No classes other than Male and Female.
- Adult beverages might be involved.
- Thinking late March....... That way ya got a jersey to sport all year. Plus the weather might suck. Which would be a bonus in my mind. Besides, single speeds are best when the weather is bad anyway.
- Likely it would be in Central or North Central Iowa.
Otherwise this will just go into the scrap heap of ideas and never be done. That's all.........