Saturday, November 23, 2019

Minus Ten Review 2009-47



One of the most unusual registration gifts I ever received- shark's teeth.

Ten years ago here on the blog the entire week was all about Trans Iowa v6 registration madness. Back in those days T.I. registration was something all the people at the shop I work at used to look forward to. Even our mailman was excited when Trans Iowa registration time came around.

It was exciting for me as well. The Trans Iowa riders were so creative and thoughtful, it was just nuts. It really was a very special time in the event's history. I looked forward to coming into the shop each day to see what would be showing up.

I got whiskey, pizza, a bag of chips, and cigars that year, but the oddest thing I got, and maybe the most unusual Trans Iowa gift I ever received, was a bag of shark's teeth. I didn't quite know what to make of it, and I wish I still had them. I have no idea where they ended up, but they were a curious gift for sure.

Registration ended that weekend with the roster full at 75 people. Of course, that would dwindle down as the weeks and months went on toward the event, which for 2010 was scheduled back on the last weekend in April instead of the first weekend of May, as T.I.v5 had been held. That was because I did not plan on going to Sea Otter, and in fact, I haven't been back there since that year.

There also was a ride that I did ten years ago with A-Lo, a former co-worker of mine, and David Pals, my co-director in Trans Iowa at that point. It was a fun day out on the bike, and an unusually warm day with temperatures in the 50's. I chose to ride my old steel El Mariachi which was geared far too low for gravel travel, and I spun my legs out like crazy on that three hour ride. Good times!

No comments: