Tuesday, May 25, 2021

Riding Off Into The Sunset

My son and my wife walking off after his last vocal concert.
Sunsets. They can be beautiful, amazing, awe inspiring, and memorable. They also can signify endings, since it marks the end of a day for us. Well, myself and my family have reached a pretty memorable 'ending' today. 

It's the graduation from high school for my son. The last child of mine to make that walk across a stage to get a diploma from public school. That's a pretty big deal for us here.

But while it is the end of one thing it marks the beginning of other things as well. What exactly those things might be, we all are not sure. Only thing I know is that my son is excited to go to a tech program at a local community college this Fall. 

This is one of the big reasons I stepped back from promoting and doing events. To be 'there' for my kids and wife at this time of their lives means a lot to them, and obviously it does to me as well. I've stated this as a reason I 'retired' from putting on events several times, and well, as I walked off behind my wife and my son last night after his final vocal performance in his high school career, I knew I had done the right thing.  

I get the whole sentiment attached to my old event called "Trans Iowa". All I have to do is mildly hint at maybe, possibly doing it again and someone hops on and comments something to the effect of "Do it!", and whatnot. But I also understand that they are just being selfish. It has nothing to do with the reasons why I stopped doing that stuff. The sun set on that era of my life, and like my son now, I am looking forward to whatever is down the road for me. 

Sure, like my son might do later on, I look back and wonder what it might be like to be doing those things again, but really, that's a big waste of time, and I hope he, nor myself, ever get caught up in that way of thinking. The past means never going back again. I'm okay with that.......because I have a future to be excited about.  So does my son. 

Sunsets. Enjoy them while they are happening. But get a move on in the morning. Time is not going backward. 

11 comments:

graveldoc said...

Congratulations to your son and family, sir! I've come to know, from reading your blog, how much your family means to you. This is a big milestone. I look forward to reading, from you, the great things this young gentleman, and you, are accomplishing.

Guitar Ted said...

@ graveldoc - Thank you!

Rydn9ers said...

Congratulations to your son and your family, big moment.

Guitar Ted said...

@Rydn9ers - Thank you!

MG said...

I'm super stoked for you and your family, Brother. You've done well with your kids and the future is bright. Cheers!!

Guitar Ted said...

@MG- Thank you Brother! Love ya!

FarleyBob said...

Congrats GT! I applaud you for having your priorities in the right place!

Guitar Ted said...

@FarleyBob- Thank you!!

S Sprague said...

Congratulations to your son! May his enthusiasm lead to a successful college experience! It's a great time to explore various avenues while in community college. I did it and it's something I'll always remember.

Good on you to reflect on changes and always moving forward. Learning from our experiences is so invaluable.

And a great picture! You have a great eye!

Ari said...

Congratulations to your son and your family! I hope he enjoys his future in College.
Ari

Guitar Ted said...

@S Sprague - Thank you! I'll pass the congrats on to my son.

@Ari - Thank you! I'll pass on your congrats as well.