Saturday, May 15, 2021

Sticking To The Plan

Well, we are nearing the halfway point of 2021 already (!!!) and I haven't done a century ride yet, and I have not even ridden a half century ride yet. (!!!) Not a good sign for the rest of the season, but I can honestly say I've not missed many opportunities to get rides in. 

This is just how things have played out for me so far. I don't feel badly about it, but I am not stoked either. I'd rather have had a 50+ miler or three under my belt by now, but time hasn't been there to afford being away from _____ (fill in the blank) for that long. My son is graduating soon, in ten days, as a matter of fact, so there has been a lot going on with him and getting him to track practice and back, and all of that. Plus I am the de facto driver for my daughter many a time, since she has chosen to not drive a car. It's all good. Life is not just all about Guitar Ted. 

 What I can do is to plan on getting those longer rides in after my son gets out of school and I am relieved of some of the responsibilities I have related to that. I can have a bit more time than three hours at a crack to get out into the country. I also do have a decent base to work off of, so I don't think it will take much to get up to speed, so to speak.

So, my original layout for 2021 stands. I planned on doing two events and I am sticking to the plan. I've been offered to do other events, with very generous offers, and I am flattered, really. However; I have to be realistic. I cannot be running around hither and thither for various reasons. I had to cut way back on some expenses, and in conjunction with that, I've had to dedicate my time to some other things (some outlined above) and together I'll be fortunate to even get out to the two things I have on my plate. In fact, those things may have to be withdrawn from the schedule. I don't know right now.

So, I just don't think doing anything outside of a couple 'actual events' I have already stated I wanted to do is a good idea right now. It isn't what I want for me now- to go to an event, pin on a number, and not finish it. Been there, done that. I know I am not ready for anything competitive at this point or in the near future. Plus there is a situation out there that I may have to deal with which would put all riding on pause for an indefinite amount of time. Cryptic, I know, but it isn't time yet to talk about that deal. (It has absolutely nothing to do with cycling, by the way) So, I am staying close to home for that reason, above all else..... 

Stay tuned.

No comments: