Tuesday, May 24, 2022

Tires You Should Know About

Vittoria Terreno Series tires: These are some tires you should know about.
 One of the things I am very privileged to be able to do is to ride a LOT of different tires from a LOT of different manufacturers. One of the things people talk MOST about in regards to bicycles are tires. 

So, this got me to thinking when I see threads on social media concerning tires and in specific, the ubiquitous question: "What tires are best for....?" 

First of all, there are no 'best tires' for anything. There are just too many variables to have anyone tell anyone else what is 'best' for them. I mean, what does 'best' even mean? That could be one thing for you, and a total 'feel' thing, and no one else is going to get that feeling, that sensation you are after, but you and you alone. So, unfortunately, there is no 'easy button' here. 

But the good news is that there are a LOT of really good tires out there. Some that you might think are really great for you, but maybe you are not aware of them. Maybe you just haven't heard much of anything about how they work, even if you have heard about them. In this series I am going to share a bit about some tires I think you should know about. Tires that may be new to you, or that you've heard of, but that you haven't heard much about. 

What this series is not going to be about are the tires everyone out there seems to already have a handle on. Tires like Panaracer's popular Gravel King series. I'll have some mainstream brands here, but I am going to avoid tires that are already talked about a ton online and on social media. What else you won't find in this series is a 'magic tire' that wears forever, is super-light, and has the easiest tubeless set up. Why? Because many traits we look for in tires are mutually exclusive, one from the other. That's why.

Also, this series will concentrate on gravel tires, although I can say that a few could be touring bike tires, or mountain biking tires. However; if you are looking for anything outside of the realm of gravel usage, then this may not be a good read for you. I'll pick on a few traits like which tire I think is best for ease of tubeless use, which tires wear like iron, and which tires ride the best. (See! Three different "best' qualities which may appeal to three different types of riders!) Finally, the Standard Disclaimer will apply to many of these tires I will be talking about in the series.

Okay, that's the idea I have for this series. Got a tire you think I should know about? Hit me up in the comments section. Otherwise, I have a set landing today that may make this list, and I will start out with my first in this series tomorrow. Stay tuned and thanks for reading "Guitar Ted Productions".

11 comments:

teamdarb said...

Have you any look at the Vee Tires GPVee? I have tried them in 700 and 650 wide. They gobble up silt and chunk, albiet heavy. Zero traction in mud until you lower the pressures and switch gears. I am not sure you can get a puncture if you tried.

Exhausted_Auk said...

Kenda Happy Mediums? Seem about as popular as yesterday's newspaper these days, but I was very happy with the set I ran in TIV10.

Guitar Ted said...

@teamdarb - I haven't tried that model, but we did look at the Rocketman tires. I imagine the casings would be quite similar with just the tread being different. Thanks for pointing those out though.

Guitar Ted said...

@Exhausted_Auk - Those were a very popular gravel tire around 2014 or so. That's an excellent tread design, but I would probably go with the very similar, lighter, and better riding Challenge Gravel Grinder now, which you can get tubeless. (They weren't back in the day)

Ben said...

Well, I bought some WTB Byway 700 X 44 tires a few months ago that I haven't used yet. Mainly got them when I saw on sale for $39 and hearing about all the weird supply chain / shortage issues. If you have an option, then maybe I'll know what to expect when I do decide to mount them up! Also, probably more of an aside, but I have some Hutchinson Toureg 700 x 45 on one of my gravel bikes and really like those....I was a bit sad to hear they were discontinued and I can't find any in that size anymore. Oh yeah....and that's also one of the reasons I bought the Byways...figured maybe that will be the replacement once the Touregs are worn out.

Guitar Ted said...

@Ben - Ironically, the Touareg is what I am writing about for tomorrow. I did happen across a source for them, online, Amazon, I think. yes- they are extremely difficult to find now, but what tires are not these days?

Byways: Stay tuned for a very similar tire I will be presenting soon......

Nooge said...

The Rene Herse knobby tires are quite nice if you want a fast rolling, comfortable tire that is good on almost any terrain. They are Available in multiple casings, but the Endurance casing is the best balance of durability and speed for most people. I love mine so much that I have them in 650b and 700c. They are definitely expensive though. It’s something worth considering for a future review.

Guitar Ted said...

@Nooge - Thank you for that perspective. And for the record, I am happy for anyone that has good report on those tires, but I will not be reviewing them myself. The primary reasons being that I have had two good friends have bad luck with them, I have heard about others having bad experiences, and those tires, as you noted, are very expensive.

I find that Rene Herse tires have folks madly in love with them or mad at them. It seems that there is no in between. And that's another reason I don't feel the need to wade into those contentious waters. In fact, I actually had a pair of Antelope Hill tires in hand, which I bought, and sold at considerable loss, because of these problems I am aware of with the brand.

There are just too many brands of tires that have consistently good tires with similar benefits that don't cost as much, and that makes buying into the Rene Herse brand a bit tougher from my perspective.

To repeat- I am very happy if anyone else is having a great experience on that brand's tires. I'm just not going be trying them and I have stated why. So far I haven't been convinced otherwise.

Nooge said...

GT, I understand your position. As you said, everyone has their own criteria for tire selection. I am curious what issues you are aware of so that I can be on the lookout for them. I am aware that some people have had issues with casing cuts, which is why they offer multiple casings with increasing levels of puncture protection. I have the moderate protection Endurance casing and the good fortune to live where sharp rocks are quite rare. I am also aware of some issues regarding tubeless setup, which Herse claims are resolved. However, I haven’t setup these tires tubeless, instead opting for thin tubes, so I can’t comment on that.

Guitar Ted said...

@Nooge - Thanks. Yes, you have heard what I have heard and have reported to me- tubeless issues that, quite frankly, are not tenable in an era of tubeless for bicycle tires where reliability and safety are pretty much forgone conclusions with other brand's gravel tire products.

NY Roll said...

Gonna say it, for a fast rolling 29er gravel tire the vittoria 2.1 or 2.25 is a great tire. If you are able to roll it and not worry about side wall protection. I rolled my 2.1s till the side walls gave out and that was about 2,000 miles of use.