Wednesday, July 27, 2022

An Unpopular Opinion

From the last day I rode RAGBRAI ever. July 2005
Well, it's THAT time of the year again. And it is THAT time again after two years of really nothing going on. RAGBRAI is back full tilt, and my social media feeds are full of the goings on. 

I've escaped having to answer this question now for two whole years, and now that this certain question has come back into play again, I realize how nice it was to NOT have to answer it.

The question? "Why aren't you on RAGBRAI?" followed closely with the follow-up question, "Have you ever done RAGBRAI before?"

Well, about that...........

Yes:  I have ridden RAGBRAI before. The entire route twice in 1996 and 2002. I've ridden parts of other RAGBRAI's in 2000, 2001, and 2003-2005. I have also been a mechanic on two RAGBRAI's- 2002-2003. So, this opinion doesn't come from someone who doesn't know what they are talking about. I've been there, done that, and the answers to "The Questions" come from experience. 

Why don't I do RAGBRAI? Well, there is a very good reason for that. It isn't for me. That's why.
 

Long lines for you name it: Food, drink, toilets, everything. (Image from 2005)

Long Lines: Waiting....... You will do a lot of that at RAGBRAI. Long lines of sweaty people waiting. Waiting for food, drink, to use a Kybo (Porta-jon, or whatever you call them in your part of the world) Waiting is NOT fun. Especially under a hot Sun. You can have it. 

Pipped from the Des Moines Register's reporter, Kyle Munson's social media 2022

Traffic: Look, I love riding bicycles. I do not like traffic jams. I don't like living on the edge wondering if so-and-so ahead of me is going to suddenly swerve into my line or not. I don't like picking my way around riders who suddenly decide, You know what? This climb sucks! I'm getting off right here!. Which usually is right in front of you while you are climbing at 12mph. Brilliant! I LIVE for that! Why don't I go on RAGBRAI? (sarcasm alert)

A mechanic on location during RAGBRAI 2005.

Exorbitant Pricing & Regulations: RAGBRAI is not a bargain. In fact, it is very expensive. Try getting anything done on your bicycle, for instance. The licensed repair shops charge boosted fees, because, let's face it- they have to make hay while it is time to bale. I get it. I benefited from it, but that doesn't mean I would like being on the other end of that as a consumer. And of course, food and beverage is no different. 

True- you can score some sweet accommodation pricing during RAGBRAI, and it can be "free" if you are willing to compromise a bit on things, but otherwise, this isn't a budget friendly deal. I'm better off doing my own tour than doing a RAGBRAI. 

And while I am not affected by the authorities shutting down businesses and chasing riders up the road, that rubs me totally the wrong way. I do not like it, and I wouldn't support that activity by doing RAGBRAI.

Again, all of the above is MY OPINION. Your mileage probably varies. I am just putting this out there because I get asked a lot about RAGBRAI and my lack of participation in it. 

Let it also be known that I always tell people they should do it at least once. To me it is like going to Las Vegas. You should do that at least once as well. Then decide if it is for you or not. 

So, there you go. RAGBRAI has been tried. More than once. I don't get on with it. I've listed the reasons why that is. You? You do you. (You probably aren't reading this if you are a RAGBRAI fan anyway, since it is RAGBRAI week)

Oh, and one more thing. People used to get on me for criticizing RAGBRAI because "I benefited from it".  Well, I used to. Not anymore. So, that's not a valid criticism of my take now. And honestly, I am happy to be out of that rat-race of repairs for that ride. That had its own set of negatives. But that doesn't matter since I've left that sort of work behind.

4 comments:

MG said...

I’m with ya, Brother.

Gravelo said...

I had something of a realization about Ragbrai this year. Too many people see it as the apex event of cycling when it's really more of a mid-step. TOTALLY NOT trying to come off as a stud cyclist, but I rode 82 miles from Boone to Webster City, 95% gravel, for shits and giggles just to enjoy the day. No lines, ate pizza and drank 2 beers mid-afternoon, and saw parts of this wonderful state that I never knew existed! Even saw a grave at a little country cemetery with a birth year of 1824, now that was a while back. Adventure is where you find it.

Guitar Ted said...

@MG - Thanks Brother!

Guitar Ted said...

@Gravelo - Well, you nail why it is that the attitude a lot of folks have about RAGBRAI is that it is the apex cycling achievement. It's tiring, and bothersome, but after suffering years of hearing that, I have come to the realization that it speaks to most people's ignorance of cycling.

It also speaks to why we get treated like vermin by motorists, because cycling is a "play-date" activity that has no real value. (RAGBRAI) "So, why are you in my way again?"

The "Questions" serve as a way to pigeon hole cycling into a one week window where it is acceptable (You are doing RAGBRAI) and is pointless the other 51 weeks a year. That is what really bothers me.

What you did on your 82 mile ride would seem absolutely wasteful, unimaginable, and absolutely no fun at all (Where are the vendors? The bars? What's the point if it isn't RAGBRAI?)

So, yeah- You get it. This is why myself, and many of my friends get weary of all the RAGBRAI talk.