Tuesday, July 26, 2022

The Closure Tour: Experimental Phase 3

The set-up was tested on gravel on Monday.
 I've gone through a complete tear-down/unpacking of my bags and re-packing them and remounting them on the bike. That part went pretty smoothly, but I still need to get a few items and place them in the bags properly. It is a close-to-a-full-load as I can get now. 

That is important since I wanted to ascertain how this all was going to ride like. Loaded bikes are a different animal to ride. If you've ever given a ride to another person, or carried something heavy on your bicycle, you already know that it radically changes how a bicycle handles. 

Testing my set-up then was a critical step to undertake before I blast off on this mini-tour. Especially so since gravel can vary so much. And while I have toured, I've never done it on gravel roads. So, I wanted to gain some experience before the tour date. 

I added a full water bottle to mimic some food weight I don't have on there, but this was pretty close to max load. I also wore some clothing I think I will use, which is important for other reasons I'll get to later on. I was a bit disappointed that the weather was so moderate Monday. I was hoping it would be hot and humid because the advance forecast for my dates for the ride are looking to be hot and humid.

There was a good mix of deeper, fresh gravel, like this shown here, and smoother gravel.

I was pleased to find out that I could adapt yet to a very different feeling bike rather quickly. After about two miles I was settled in and riding smoothly. There were some pretty rough areas that had some fresh gravel dumped on them. That made for an interesting riding experience. I think that the 700 X 40 Ritchey Speedmax tires are a bit overwhelmed in the chunk, but not unrideable. I may swap out to a bigger tire before I leave, but on pavement and smoother gravel this tire is okay. 

It's the load that makes the tire act a bit skittish in the rougher stuff. Otherwise I wouldn't mind these tires at all. So, I may or I may not swap. It's going to have to be done soon, though, if I decide I am switching. I don't have a lot of time to waffle around with this. 

Other than that, the load stayed put, which was great to see. I stopped once to see how tight the toe straps were staying and I did not see anything untoward. So, I figure I'll be fine there. 

The ride was a short one, but I liked that I found some varied conditions. Loose, deep gravel, smoother gravel, and pavement helped me decide that I was on track here for a successful attempt at this tour. 

So, now all I really need to do to be ready, barring changing tires, are little details. I have to get some food to add to what I have. I need to decide on exactly what clothing to pack. I need that lighter, or matches. I need proper stove fuel yet. Logistically I need to get my cues written and find the sleeve I want to use to keep them safe. I need to finalize the exact time of departure, although as of now I have targeted the first two weeks of August to try to get this in, weather depending. 

The Redwing Blackbirds are fixing to leave. So, at least they won't be a bother!

It will be an interesting trip on gravel. I have not ridden many of the areas I am going to, although I have been on many roads around the loop I am taking in cars and trucks and on tractors. Climbing shouldn't be an issue, but winds might be. Anyway, it will be good. 

The Redwing Blackbirds are gathering now to leave, so that's a bonus. I won't have to do battle with them for a while now. I noticed many corn fields have not only tasseled out, but have grown ears and silked out as well! That was surprising. It will be good to see how things look North of here. 

Stay tuned....

1 comment:

teamdarb said...

Tuned in.