Saturday, July 16, 2022

Randomonium: Saturday Edition

NOTE: Okay folks, if you haven't been around long enough here to know what a "Randomonium" post is, then here is the deal. I ramble, rant, and randomly moan about all things cycling in one, incohesive, bizarre post. "Randomonium", okay?

Hammerhead Update:

Following up on what happened with the Hammerhead Karoo 2 unit I panned in my final take on it a while back. Well, as promised I sent it back to Hammerhead HQ with a hand written note describing my displeasure with the unit. 

I heard back about a week, week and a half ago from Hammerhead customer service. I received a very apologetic response and a promise to send out another unit to check out.

They want me to call a representative and have them "walk me through the set-up procedure". While that is uncommonly kind, and I do not expect that from them, here is my problem with that: If this unit is so intuitive, why would I have to have someone essentially hold my hand through the set-up

That strikes me as odd. This "step-by-step walk through from a Hammerhead rep" is not a requirement when you purchase a new Hammerhead Karoo 2, so why would that be necessary now? I feel like this says the reason why is that I was the problem here, not the Karoo 2*. If that's the case it's insulting. (Or it is an admission that their instructions are poor?) Maybe I'm wrong? Let me know in the comments. This all just strikes me as being very weird. A kind offer- but why should it be necessary? (*Note- It was brought to my attention in the comments section for this post that I did not make it clear that part of my recent frustration is that the Hammerhead rep did not indicate at all that the unit could be at fault here. So, that's a big part of my dissatisfaction with their response as well.)

In the news, Hammerhead was forced by Shimano to drop its integrations with Di2 after SRAM bought Hammerhead. Now, despite words from Hammerhead to the contrary, Hammerhead is going to pursue more integration with SRAM AXS and other SRAM owned features. Why wouldn't they, right? So, since that is not appealing to me, as I am more apt to be using Shimano stuff, this is another blow for my using a Hammerhead product. 

And yes- The whole ordeal still can get me frustrated and feeling as though Hammerhead's Karoo 2 is not what it is cracked up to be. So, there is that underlying the issues here as well. I admit this colors any future interactions with the brand's products, at least in the short term. 

More soon.....

Shimano's new EP-8 motor and XTdi2 (Image courtesy of Shimano)

Technological Conundrums:

Last week Shimano and Trek announced new advancements in electronic assist and control of bicycles. While these advancements are - on the surface of things - amazing, my question is "How does this affect cycling as a practical/recreational activity going forward?"

On the one hand, making things easier is always seen as a 'good thing' for people. (I don't necessarily subscribe to this notion, by the way) Breaking down barriers to using two-wheeled, (mostly) human powered transportation is a noble goal. But is there a point where we cross a line and technology starts to become the barrier to human health and enjoyment? 

The TQ Robotics eMTB motor found in Trek's newest Full Sus. (Image courtesy of TQ)

The new Trek Fuel EXe full suspension bike has a new e-motor developed by German company, TQ Robotics which promises lighter weight and better integration in the application of electric motors on bicycles. Integrated with this are computer functions, while being basic now, they could easily be expanded upon. Thinking about this and Shimano's new XT Di2 functions, where a rider can have the system shift for you based upon predictive sensor technology, it doesn't take much effort (pun intended) to see that this takes a lot of the complexity and- some would say- skill, out of riding. 

Lighter, more efficient motors with integrated computer tech. More system operated functionality that used to be the realm of the human rider. Where does it end? Is there a "line" to cross at all? What if this technology gets in the way by means of price to buy, maintenance costs, and availability? Does technology like this open more doors for cycling, or does it actually exclude a huge portion of the cycling public? What, if any, environmental impact does this technology have, both good and bad?

Thorny questions to consider going forward....... 

The Wayfarer fork - Image courtesy of Wilde Bicycle Co.

Wilde Bicycle Co. Wayfarer Fork:

One of my past frustrations when setting up my early gravel bikes was the inability to ditch some serious weight with a carbon fiber fork. Straight steer tube carbon forks were kind of a unicorn once the road bike world went for tapered steer tubes in the early 2000's.

There is a significant difference between an OEM fork in steel and an aftermarket carbon one. I am pretty sure my steel Tamland fork went around 12-1300 grams. The Wilde Wayfarer weighs about 500 grams with an uncut steer tube. That's a significant weight savings right there!

Comments: I know that there are many who won't ever give up on metal forks, but carbon fiber has been used on road bike forks since the 1990's. So that design and materials technology in the Wayfarer fork has a lot of years of advancements in technology and design to lean upon. Would it concern me if I got one to try? Yeah, because there is a weight limitation on the fork and I exceed that. So, you have to use your head and be aware that not every lightweight thing will work for every person. 

But that doesn't mean there are no options. I used a Fyxation carbon fork on my Tamland Two which weighs around 750 grams, and that still is a significant weight savings. Plus, I don't have to worry about any rider weight limitations. 

I applaud Wilde Bicycle Co. for trying to go all-out on design and see what could be done. But I would also say that I wish that Wilde, and companies that make super-lightweight stuff, would also give heavier riders options. And I think many riders within the weight limitations might even choose to use a heavier option, if one were provided, out of an abundance of caution. 

Is the Tour going to be forced to "Go Green"?

Climate Criticisms Leveled At le Tour:

I've noted a spate of reports and social media posts leveling criticisms at the Tour de France for being environmentally unfriendly. Some point out that all the team follow cars are impacting the climate with carbon emissions. Some point out the crowds the event attracts as being a contributor to this as well as having an effect in terms of litter and more. There was even a stoppage of one of the stages by protesters this year who were upset about the Tour's carbon footprint.

Is it time for le Tour to "Go Green"? Certainly, it could be a big help if team cars were forced to be electric and if support vehicles for the Tour, such as motos, nuetral service cars, and the like, were electric as well. At least from a "tailpipe emissions" standpoint. You can argue the second tier, less noticeable carbon impacts of battery production and electricity generation, but I think the "electrification" of the Tour would go a long way toward a goal of having less of an environmental impact. 

But if you really want to lower the impact, you would have to bite the bullet and go radical. As in, really radical, and take away any team cars and reduce the moto following vehicles to a minimum to run the event. Restricting crowds and where they could gather along the route might also be measures which one could take to help conserve energy and lessen the impact on the climate the event has. 

A true, self-supported tour would be awesome, in my view, and by using drones and carefully placed cameras, the event could still be "televised", (would "streamed" be a better term nowadays?), and people could pay for a feed to watch it, so you'd get revenues that way. 

It'll never happen, but wow! I think I'd watch that. I'm not watching the Tour at all anymore at this point. That doping thing really soured me on watching that event anymore. 

Anyway, I look for something to come of this climate criticism, and what the Tour will do in the future.

That's it for this edition of Randomonium!

7 comments:

flying_sqrl said...

Having worked in customer service, my take is that Hammerhead made this walk-through suggestion in case they, and you, might learn something. Perhaps a setup step could be clearer, or needs to be split into two steps. Perhaps you missed a step.
I had a CS situation where ~1 in 5 people would not read the warnings, despite the fact they were highlighted in yellow and begin with WARNING - DO THIS BEFORE PROCEEDING TO THE NEXT STEP. The solution was to remove the highlight, then it became just another step and everyone would read it.

Guitar Ted said...

@flying_sqrl - Interesting observation. I'd be apt to agree if it were just my experience with their set-up procedures, but my wife, who is a noted talent in setting up various electronic devices and in navigating instructions, told me that the UI on the Karoo 2 was dreadful and agreed that there was something wrong with the device we had.

That's what I am referring to in today's post. There was no admission on the part of the Hammerhead rep that anything at all was wrong, or even could be wrong, with their device. Thus my "it must be me that's wrong" comment. Had Hammerhead taken any stance which admitted that there even could be a problem with my particular unit- and not infer that it was all on me- then I'd have a softer take on this.

But when the company gives no hint that it may be the device that is faulty, that seems odd to me. I guess I didn't make that clear in the post. I'll go back and correct that.

Thank you for that suggestion though. That is a good observation.

scottg said...

A Green Tour would mean steel bikes would come back,
and alloy rims.
Old Carbon bikes & forks AFAIK can't be recycled.


An Henri Dresgrange version of the Tour, would be great
goodbye team cars, but leave the radios.
The original TdFs were very Trans Iowa like.

Nooge said...

I know you weren’t arguing it one way or another, but for anyone curious, EVs pollute about 2/3 LESS than ICE vehicles, even when evaluating them from mining of raw materials all the way through recycling at end of life. The manufacturing pollution issue is a popular topic but it’s a myth.

https://theicct.org/publication/a-global-comparison-of-the-life-cycle-greenhouse-gas-emissions-of-combustion-engine-and-electric-passenger-cars/

Fear rothar said...

No need to post this (very late) comment, but I hope you take Hammerhead up on their offer - both in the interests of a fully, complete and objective review, and also to sate my curiosity. I won't bore you again with the long-time user spiel...

Guitar Ted said...

@Fear rothar - I did and the new unit is here on my desk as I type this.... Stay tuned.

Fear rothar said...

Tuned in, thanks!