Monday, July 18, 2022

Rack Me! Update

The Old Man Mountain Elkhorn Rack as it came to me.
 Last week I ran a post entitled "Rack Me!" where I showed a few choices in minimalist racks for bicycles. I mentioned that I was getting in an Old Man Mountain Elkhorn Rack for test/review for RidingGravel.com. Note: Standard Disclaimer applies.

I'm not going to focus too much on the details of the rack here, because I want you to read my Riding Gravel review for that. (It won't be out for a bit yet) 

This post will be more about what I am going to do with this rack

So, as of now I have fitted this rack to my Black Mountain Cycles MCD. I gave some thought as to which end of the bike I wanted to mount the thing to, as it works on either end. I chose to mount it as a rear rack, because I wanted to distribute the weight I will be carrying so that the front end of my bike doesn't get too slowed down by inertia induced from a heavier front load. Here's what the set up ended up looking like....

The OMM Elkhorn Rack set up with Salsa Cycles Anything Cage HD cages.

Okay, so as to 'why' I used the Anything Cage HD cages and why the rack is on the rear, I have a certain 'mission' in mind for this set up. I plan on doing a sub-24 over-nighter type trip. Actually, it probably would be better to call it a two day, one night trip. I don't think I'll be done in less than one day's time.

I plan on possibly 'bandit-camping' or doing it 'official' at a campground, but either way- This requires a sleep system and shelter. Over the years, I have accumulated enough gear to make this all work. I have a Sierra Designs tent, some lightweight sleep-sack or another. I cannot recall the brand but it compresses down nicely for travel. I have an ancient Thermarest pad from my 1990's tours, (still works), and I have a few various dry bags to put stuff in. 

This Ti pot, stand, and folding spork along with my homemade stove are ready!

So, now I am mocking up loads and thinking through what I really need to take on this little trip. I have already strapped a few items to the Elkhorn using an old school device called a "toe strap". Some of you old cycling folks may know what those are. Yeah, there are those fancy new rubbery straps everyone is talking about, but this lil' trip is going to go off using as much 'stuff' as I have at hand. Keeping the purchases minimal and doing things "dirt-bag" if necessary. 

It's going to be a mish-mash of old and newer gear and things employed in different ways than intended will feature into my set up. Like the toe straps, which I have collected a bunch of through the years. They are so useful.... Anyway.... 

 The next post on this will focus on the trip and my experiments in loading. I will be test-riding with the full load once I have it all together. The route is pretty much figured out already. It isn't anything spectacular from an outside observer's viewpoint, but this trip will have deep meaning for me. You'll see why later as long as I actually get this done.... Nothing guaranteed. 

Okay- Any questions? Let me have 'em in the comments. Otherwise stay tuned for more soon....

4 comments:

CrossTrail said...

Awesome sauce! Sub-24's are such a great little get-away. Re-set. Re-charge. Spark imagination. Awesome on its own. And you never know where it will lead.

fasteddy said...

Very interested in this. Have a similar notion in mind, and not much interested in giant seat bags.

DT said...

very cool, is that an alcohol stove?

Guitar Ted said...

@DT - Yes, a "pop-can/beer-can" type I made myself. I have run it off of HEET fuel additive before which works pretty well.