Friday, July 15, 2022

Friday News And Views

The new alloy version of Cannondale's Topstone (Image courtesy of Cannondale)
Cannondale Debuts New Alloy Topstone Range:

Just last week I mentioned in this space that I don't report on every new gravel bike that hits the scene anymore unless that bike is unique in some way. Well, Cannondale met that criteria with me as it made news last Monday with its new alloy Topstone range

The main things I noted right away were the slacker head angle (71°) paired with a longer offset (55mm) which isn't typical "gravel bike" fare. However; Cannondale didn't stop there and went with a deep bottom bracket drop of 75mm and chain stays in at 435mm which I think is a sweet spot for good handling on looser gravel. 

Comments: Yes- I like this geometry. This is pretty much smack-dab in the range of numbers I'd call out for a good riding bike. But is the Topstone in alloy form going to be that? Well, there are still a lot of ways to fail in terms of bicycle design and spec, so I cannot say for certain. 

Keeping in mind that the top of the range Topstone 2 that Cannondale lists now sits under 2G, you are not going to get the cutting edge componentry here. Still, Shimano GRX 10 speed is pretty solid fare and should be easy on the wallet when it comes time for maintenance. The wheels are pretty average, but not terrible. You get a fully carbon fork. Light? Probably. Nice riding? Ahh.... Not going to hold my breath there. Could be though.

Overall, I find this bike intriguing enough that I would cautiously recommend it as a great starter gravel bike that should be easy on the wallet and potentially ride really well. Cannondale has all that "connectivity" trickery installed and ready to go here on this bike, which I find gimmicky, and not up my alley. Dropper post ready, yeah..... Take it or leave it. But it does have a lot of versatility with mounting points and it is fender capable, so I like it at this point. 

Feedback Sports New Pro Mechanic HD Stand:

Wednesday Feedback Sports introduced a new version of their popular and versatile repair stand. A beefed up version they call the "Pro Mechanic Stand HD". Featuring bigger legs, main tube, and completely new jaws and clutch mecanisms, the Pro Mechanic HD stand should be able to tackle any heavy two wheeled project in the bicycle or HPC range. 

The stand still folds up and is easily transported. Total weight is said to be 18lbs, so it is light! Max load capacity is 120lbs. The stand also has an available carrying bag, like the original stand does. Jaws have a soft, non-marring rubber insert which is replaceable and shouldn't be an issue with paint jobs. That clamp opens up to 2.6" so it can grab a pretty large diameter tube when necessary. 

Comments: I own and use a stand from when this company was called Ultimate Repair Stands. It has been really pretty reliable and only recently have I had any issues with the clutch mechanism not working 100%. Keep in mind- I have owned this stand for over 20 years! So, whenever folks ask about portable repair stands, I always recommend Feedback Sports' stuff. 

It is expensive, but I'd pay the money again for one considering how long this one I have has lasted. This new HD version is just a tic under five hundred bucks, but if you want the best and want a repair stand you can rely on for years, then I'd not hesitate to go with a Feedback Sports stand.

The new Rondo MYLC Steel (Image courtesy of Rondo)

Rondo Announces New MYLC Range:

Okay, another odd-ball gravel bike. This time it's from Rondo, the brand that seems to be coming at the whole "allroad" bicycle thing from an 'under-biking', mountain biking viewpoint. 

This model I am highlighting is the Rondo MYLC ST, a steel version of this MYLC range which also includes a rather severe looking, angular carbon frame and an aluminum counterpart no less angular. I like the steel version which looks less severely 'artistic' and weird. Maybe that's just me....

The thing here is that this bike goes a long way toward MTB geometry in the front end. Depending on where you set the front fork geometry altering axle chip, you get about a 68-ish degree head tube angle, and a correspondingly steep seat tube angle around the 74 degree mark. The bottom bracket drop changes also, but I think their geo chart is off. In the "Low" setting the drop is listed as 70mm and in the "High" setting it is listed as 75mm. Hmm.......methinks that is backwards. If it were "Bottom Bracket Height", that would be correct, but it is not that. Anyway....

Interesting geometry. I'm not sure how all that matches up if your largest tire you can fit is a 47mm tire. Again, the whole "under-biking" thing is weird to me. Just get a MTB hard tail already. Or, if you really want to "under-bike", find a rigid fork 1992 Klein Attitude with 26" X 1.75 XC tires and try that out. That was true 'under-biking'!

Tweet from highly regarded cycling journo, James Huang

More Supply Chain Madness:

Remember last Friday in the "FN&V" where I pontificated on the current supply chain issues? 

Well, a brief update. I stated last week that "The bicycle business has always suffered most when demand is low, inflation high, and supply is abundant. That's exactly the scenario it seems we are headed for. So, by this Fall don't be surprised to see some sales and lots of inventory in stock everywhere."

And I guess industry analyst, Rick Vosper, was on the same page, since he just got published in "Bicycle Retailer and Industry News" saying pretty much the same thing. Only he did it with more words and with some backing in terms of stats and historical data. 

Again- things may seem in short supply in a few areas yet, but look out for Fall and Winter. I am betting that the supply chain glut is coming and that we're going to see a lot of disruption, business failures, and more coming soon.  

That's it for today. I'll have some more thoughts on some newsy stuff from this week tomorrow, so check that out. But really- You should just get out and ride! Thanks for Reading Guitar Ted Productions!

5 comments:

MuddyMatt said...

Interesting about your Cannondale comments - my original 2019 version has very similar numbers (the only difference being the chainstays are 5mm shorter at 430mm) and I can definitely confirm it handles well, very secure and stable especially in the drops. I love it except its boring, boring black.

https://muddymoles.org.uk/bikes/cannondale-topstone-105-se-2019-specification

The wheels are the same and have stood up well, but an upgrade there to something like Hunt wheels would make a huge difference. On my list. As for tyres, I am running 40c Specialized Pathfinders which have been remarkably durable (5000+ miles now) but are somewhat narrow and stiff-sidewalled. Next time round I will be looking for about a 42c and a suppler tyre to replace them with.

What I miss out on compared to the new model is dropped rear seatstays and slightly longer wheelbase which may well help the rider further, and the additional mounting points. But... my model came with full Shimano 105 for £1350 (I guess about $1500 at the time?), so quite a difference in price and spec in three years! Shrinkflation on bikes (less for more!) but that's not disagreeing that in the current market Cannondale are being quite competitive.

Matt

Guitar Ted said...

@MuddyMatt - Yes, you are right about that Topstone you have, and my good friend MG has already pointed that out to me as well. But as you stated, there are incremental differences that seem to make this model a bit more appealing to me.

The prices you paid are now from a bygone era. I'm afraid we've jumped a barrier and that comparisons to pre-COVID times, in terms of pricing, won't be very relevant nor make much sense. That's reality. I just do not see it changing back again to where entry level bikes are around 1000 US or when entry level pavement bikes were less than $500.00 US.

Interestingly, this development has pushed a lot more interest toward used bikes. Should you decide to move on from your Topstone, a bike like that in fair condition might fetch a handsome sum.

S.Fuller said...

I echo your enthusiasm for the Ultimate/Feedback stands. I bought one many years ago, and the only maintenance that it's needed is replacing the plastic jaw covers. Feedback had those in stock and they were cheap and easy to replace. It's been a great purchase, and I don't regret spending the money on it.

Nooge said...

I was wondering what you were referring to with that comment about connectivity on the Topstone. For those curious, it’s a little Bluetooth wheel speed sensor that tracks your speed, mileage and ride time automatically. Just pair it with your phone to see the data. They also promote that it will tell you when your bike needs service (in their biased opinion). It’s basically the modern equivalent of the Cateye wheel magnet computers.

The service thing is an obvious money grab and isn’t going to be accurate. However, the rest of that I think is neat for those that want some basic data without the complication of a full blown bike computer. It seems like the right solution for a lot of people buying a $2000 bike. Chances are people that want the features of a $200+ bike GPS also are more likely to buy a higher end bike.

That’s my take on it.

Guitar Ted said...

@Nooge - That's partially what that is. The flip side is that it not only recommends maintenance, but it also has other data harvesting potential geared toward the dealer. Not a fan, but people can decide for themselves what they want to have tracked or not.