Saturday, July 23, 2022

The Closure Tour: Experimental Phase 2

With my bicycle set up mostly figured out I moved my focus to the important overnight accommodations and just how that would work. Logistically, I needed to identify a place where I could overnight. My initial thought was to do a 'bandit camp' in the woods adjacent to a cemetery along the route, but then I decided to check out camping opportunities in the area where I was riding through.

I found a good alternative in Charles City called "R Campground". I'm riding through Charles City, so I only had to tweak the route a small amount to make this work. 

It's a bit longer of a stretch to get there on my loop at about 84 miles in, but I think it shouldn't be a big concern if I get shoved off before Sunrise on the first day. Plus, that leaves a shorter distance on Day 2 for me to finish off the trip, and Charles City is a good point to resupply at, or source a meal from, so I think that's set in stone as my overnight spot. 

 Next on the agenda: How the heck do I set up my tent? This may seem like a silly question, but keep in mind, I haven't used this tent in many years. I'd forgotten what it even looked like. So, off to the back yard to do a dry run of set up and tear down.

Oh yeah....it's coming back to me now....

The Sierra Designs tent I have is a two-man, backpacking affair with a built in rain fly and shock-corded poles. It's free-standing, but I can stake down the fly and corners to keep it from becoming a man-made tumbleweed. 

Once I had it out of its cocoon that it had been in for years, I began to remember what it was about. I was timing myself on set up as well, so when I was able to have it completely ready to move into within fifteen minutes, I was pretty happy. 

And there it is! Ready to be slept in.

Once I had it set up I was also pleased to find that the interior was not musty or stinky at all. I let it air out for about an hour anyway. Then I decided to see how long it might take to pack it up. Ten minutes! I think it will all go smoother next time I try this out. 

So, that was a major hurdle which I cleared with no issues. Plus I have identified a good place to stop overnight on my route. Next up I need to refine what I am taking along with me. Staying in Charles City will modify my plans somewhat, as food and drink will be readily available to me there. That will put less of a burden on me as far as packing up stuff. I'll really only need to worry about snacks and food for the trip up,as I won't be going through any towns with a convenience store and there is only a gas station at Mile 62 which might have some refreshments. 

Water shouldn't be a problem there, so I can find a source to refill bottles at that point and make the final 20+ mile run into Charles City where I'll plan on chowing down. I only will then have to concern myself with water and nutrition to go about another 50+ to get home. 

Stay tuned......

2 comments:

teamdarb said...

How old is that tent? I notice it has zero yellow color.

Guitar Ted said...

@teamdarb - Well, that tent has to be at least 8 years old and it was on close-out when I got it.