Saturday, September 17, 2022

Country Views: Anticipation

Escape Route: Raymond, Iowa
Friday was another in a row of great early Fall days. Sunny, puffy white clouds adrift on a brisk wind, yet warm enough to remind you of Summer. The air was dry, not so humid, and we are getting affected by wild fires out West, so we have a weird haze to the sky which, along with the lowered angle of the Sun, casts a weird light on the landscape. 

It's a landscape that is waiting in anticipation of harvest. Yes, harvest has started a little. Mostly it is the seed corn plots that are coming out first, but the plants in the fields are drying down quickly, and with the early onset of all this drier air, it is hastening things along. 

The farmers are feeling it too. I saw many of them cruising in their big pickup trucks looking over the fields. It will be a bit yet, but I have been surprised by the rate of dry-down around here, at any rate. I reckon that with continued dry air and Sunny days, we'll be looking at empty fields the first week of October. 

But what do I know? I'm just an oddball observer out here. A dusty old man on a two wheeled contraption, pedaling along by myself like some lost soul in a sea of corn and beans. Ask a real farmer what's up. I'm just giving my considered opinion on the scene.


I rode out of Raymond, Iowa again. From that softball complex they have. It's a run-down looking affair. The parking lot is weedy, and it looks disheveled and unused, for the most part. I might be the only visitor there all week by the looks of things. 

But softball season is over. The kids are back in school and people are busy at work during the day. Friday I have off and that's an odd day to be out and about. I know most people that see me probably think I am a retired nutcase of some sort! Ha! 


I rode my Noble Bikes GX5 since that bike is loaded down with some review product I am working with for Riding Gravel. But I do like that bike quite a bit, so no worries there. I have the big Hutchinson Touaregs on it now which I also like quite a bit. I didn't know what I'd run into for road conditions, so I came prepared for the worst with the big tires.

In the end, these Eastern Black Hawk County roads were in awesome condition for bicycle riding. I ran across about two miles that reminded me of what Southern Black Hawk County has been like most of the Summer, but other than that? Smooth sailing! I like it! 

A slight miscalculation or two found me on two separate stretches of pavement during this ride.

I ended up riding along some pavement. There is one thing about gravel bikes that trumps a road bike and that is you can ride the shoulder of the road if need be. (Or if you'd prefer to) I choose the gravel when I can. It's just an extra precaution against getting swiped by a car or a truck these days.

Northeastern Black Hawk County has a fair share of rocky ground as evidenced by this pile.

I didn't have a defined route I wanted to take, so I was making it up as I went. I just had to be back at the house for lunch so I had to keep a sharp eye on the clock during this ride. It's easy to lose track of time out here as things are generally peaceful, slower paced, and quiet. It's easy to fall into a bit of a dream-like state and lose track of reality until a pick-up truck comes by and dusts you up, bringing you back to reality again! 


I was really happy I got out. I had a big smile on my face as I climbed the mile-plus long grade going West on Young Road. The gravel was perfect, it was warm and Sunny, and I felt great. This weekend it's supposed to be dull and cloudy with chances for rain. I may get out or not, but if I don't, I can hang my hat on Friday.

It was a good day to be alive.

3 comments:

teamdarb said...

This week has been fantastic. It had me pining for a road bike over my fat bike turned plus bike with 3 inch tires. I had been stuck off the road with bottom bracket issues.The issue is in having what is now "vintage" fat bike specs....100mm with 170 rear quick release hub. Those relabeled square taper BB are quality control bombs. But, finally on the up up found a vintage SRAM NX for 170 hub. The riding westward thru Kentucky has be amazing...well, waiting for the fog to burn off around 11am was a bit nerving. The fields are so colorful, but the corn is brown. I have seen a number of deer sun batheing in the road! There was even a zombie deer today. It has been hit days before. Pretty obvious with the ribcage showing, vultures watching, black flies, and poo smear. It scared the crap (pun?) outta me when it jumped up. The Paw Paw fruit is riping- it is so fragrant in places In had no idea even had the trees. These trees are super sensitive to air quality. Many of these trees on the east coast are dormant (probably not the right fancy word) when it come to fruiting. These nights in the hammock have been next level great. All kinds of sounds and smells. I hardly use a tarp even with all the fog and mist. Yes sir, it has been an amazing weather week. This weekend is Bourbon Festival in Bardstown, KY. I aint a drinker, but I do love the bottle designs.

Guitar Ted said...

@teamdarb - It sounds like you've had a banner week. That's awesome! Good to hear and I hope things continue to go well for you.

Phillip Cowan said...

Goodtimes in the Corn Desert!