Thursday, September 01, 2022

Hydration/Nutrition: Embark "Good Energy"

Packets of Embark "Good Energy".
 Here we go again! Another shot at trying to find energy/hydration "nirvana" for Guitar Ted. The last product I tried was a dismal failure for me. (See here) I was reticent to try anything at all after that experiment. However; this past weekend at the CORE4 event, N.Y. Roll received some new brand of energy supplement and thought that I should give it a try. 

It is from a new company from Wisconsin called "Embark" and the product is made from 100% organic ingredients. The main ingredient is maple syrup. Not your run of the mill, supermarket maple syrup for pancakes either. This stuff is raw maple syrup with zero additives other than the elderberry extract in the one and sea salt for electrolyte. Trace minerals are natural like magnesium, potassium, manganese, and zinc. Sugars are natural and there is 80 grams per packet. 

I got the elderberry and salted maple flavors. You can use this in water as a hydration additive, for energy (320 calories per 3 fluid ounce packet), or in recipes for at home use. I chose to mix my first try in water bottles, cutting it in thirds into three 24 ounce bottles. 

My main issues with other products is gas and intense intestinal pain due to that. I usually don't have to wait long to figure it out either, as it generally happens within a couple of hours of riding and using a water/hydration product mix of the types that I have used previously. 

And so how did Embark's "Good Energy" do? So far, no gut issues! Hooray! However, this stuff tastes not-so-great. That shouldn't be a surprise to anyone that has tried raw maple syrup. It has a very "earthy", taste, I would say somewhat like dirt, in a way. It certainly has no real sweetness to it. And to boot, whatever "elderberry" was used didn't add anything to the taste, but it sure made the liquid a nice deep purple color! 

And as with many hydration additives, it is sticky, makes a gooey mess on your frame if you have a leaky bottle, and you have to wash out your bottles thoroughly and immediately after use unless you like growing "things". 

So far, it's okay. I'll try the next packet and report back Link: https://www.embarkmaple.com

NOTE: The Embark "Good Energy" product was a gift from N.Y. Roll and he got it as a part of the CORE4's schwag bag at that event. Standard Disclaimer applies.

12 comments:

Ben said...

Have you tride Infinite Nutrition? I use the Go Far and Speed. High calorie, designed to eliminate the need for bars, gels, chews, etc. I really like it. Works well for me. But understand we are all different. Good Luck!

Guitar Ted said...

@Ben - No, I haven't heard of that brand, actually. Thanks for the tip. And you are right - we all are different and what works for one may not for another. That is an important point to keep in front of a discussion on nutrition/hydration.

flying_sqrl said...

I’ve never seen food labelled Prototype before.
I’ve used ELOAD hydration formula for ~20 years. Strawberry and berry flavours. The citrus flavours don’t taste right to me. I mix it weaker than recommended, one scoop per 21 oz. (620 ml). ELOAD seems to absorb quicker than plain water and helps prevent cramping. It has dextrose, a long chain sugar. I find anything with sucrose or fructose will create gut issues, bloating, gas.
I pay for ELOAD with my own money.

Guitar Ted said...

@flying_squirrel - Thanks for the recco, and nice disclaimer! ;>)

Ben said...

The prototype refers to the bag. It wasn't as durable as they wanted. They have since come out with a more durable design.

Ben said...

@flying_squirrel - The prototype label is in regards to the packaging, and if you read the "trail tales" on their website, kind of an interesting start-up story. I got a 3-pack of Embark at the Bear 100 in May, and used the first one on the Heywood ride later that month (not in water bottles, just sipped it as I rode) and have to say I friggin' love it! The salted maple too. I'm not a huge fan of the elderberry flavor, but I definitely want to get my hands on some more of the other two for long rides in the future. Goes down so much easier than gels.

wp said...

I've had good luck with Honey Stinger's Gold gels, and I have a gut that is also pretty sensitive to most of the sports nutrition category. I avoid the flavored versions though and stick with the Gold - worth a try if you haven't already. Just be aware that the main ingredient IS honey so if you have allergy issues then it's obviously not for you...

Guitar Ted said...

@Ben - Thanks for explaining the "Prototype" label. That's what I read as well- the packaging wasn't up to their standards but new packaging is on the way.

Guitar Ted said...

@wp - I'm good with honey. I've tried Honey Stinger in the past, just haven't seen it around lately. I think it's good stuff for sure.

KJ said...

Cole and I have both been using Embark for some time now. I think he tried it for the first time at Triple D last winter. Yes, their packaging is a prototype, however it's much easier to open than what we've seen for their new packaging. I've had zero issues with it being too sweet or causing gut issues. I rarely actually mix it with water either. But it's absolutely the stickiest thing I've ever tried. I split one once, getting it all over my saddle, my jersey, my bibs, bottles and handlebars - I ended up rubbing dirt on my hands to be able to get any grip and eventually pretty much bathed in a stream.

Guitar Ted said...

@KJ - Yeah! I imagine that was a sticky mess! Well, I am hoping that Embark continues to work alright for me. I'll be trying the Salted Maple next. Thanks for the comments and say hello to Cole for me!

all/bjl said...

I was oddly apprehensive about the Salted Maple flavor, but I mixed it in a water bottle and found it tasted a *lot* like cream soda.