Monday, September 12, 2022

Country Views: Harvest Starts (Barely)

Escape Route: Waterloo's alleyways.
 The weekend weather forecast didn't look very promising, so I endeavored to get out either on Thursday or Friday to ride some gravel. Things didn't work out Thursday as I had to get the surprise arrival of the Shimano wheels taken care of that day. 

Friday worked better for me, but not until the afternoon. It was one of those odd days of early Fall. Very Summer-like, but the light was totally "Fall" light with the Sun getting lower in the sky each day. The weatherman called for highs in the upper 80's, a stiff Southwesterly wind, and a hazy sky. I'd say those weatherfolks pretty much nailed it.

So, obviously I was going out to ride those new wheels. I have them on the Noble GX5, since that bike is a Shimano GRX bike, and it is fitting that these fine wheels would be on that bike anyway. 

So, by mid-afternoon I was all ready to go in my Summer kit and to do battle into the wind going South out of Waterloo. I kind of had a grand scheme to things as far as a ride length. I always do this. I think I'm going out for a 50 mile ride and then I realize that I need to do something or to be present with the family and I don't have five hours to myself in a row these days. So, I have to throttle back those plans and go with what I am given. 

A farmer bales grass into round bales in the drainage area between corn fields.

An old corn crib. They used to use these to dry out field corn on the cob.

I headed down my usual way and thought about tacking into the wind. Going South, maybe cut over a mile East, then South again. This might break things up a bit. But then I challenged myself to bite the Southern distance I wanted to go off in one chew. Maybe that was a bad idea...

The soybeans are turning a golden yellow color everywhere you see them now.

No birds anymore. The sky was a hazy, weirdly lit hue.

One thing I noted was that finally there was a bit of relief as far as difficulty to riding the gravel. There were 'lines' and it wasn't a 100% paint shaker feeling but that wasn't completely gone. Still, I must have caught the County maintainers in the middle of their schedule because this was the best the roads have ridden down this way in a few months. 

Green is quickly fading. Soon all the crops will be withered and brown.

I stopped at the intersection I typically stop at and where I had planned to turn East. I took a short break. I felt like I just had junk for legs. I was not 100% comfortable. I drank some water and took down a energy packet. (More on that in another post) Then I headed East and what do you know? I felt instantly better. Then it came to me.....

The wind! I had been beating myself up against that wind, and the heat, and the gravel. No wonder my legs were toast! I had been riding too hard for starting out a big loop. Yeah.... And then I remembered all those responsibilities and my family and..... Short loop!


This field has already been harvested. It was a seed corn field. You can tell by the grouped rows of four.

Then I smiled. I had a ride going and it was a fine Fall day in the country. I was healthy and maybe not as 'fast' and strong as I wished I was, but whatever! I had to reset my brain and just smile more. This was good. I should just enjoy it as the gift that it is.

An implement 'spreads its wings' in preparation to disc a freshly harvested corn field

More soybeans turning yellow. They won't harvest these until they are completely withered and brown.

I had pretty shelled legs by the time I got home but I also got a ride in on what may be one of the last Summer-like days we get in 2022. Pretty soon I'll be busting out the wind breakers, vests, arm warmers, and tights. 

In fact, I'd better go get them ready! That weather will be here sooner than later.

4 comments:

Okie Outdoorsman said...

Love those great photos! Always nice to see how the countryside in Iowa is doing, as regards the changing seasons, compared to the northeast Oklahoma area where I ride. The photos you capture are always great to look at. Thanks for posting!
Okiegravelrider

Guitar Ted said...

@Okie Outdoorsman - Thank you!

Tim said...

I deeply appreciate your perspective about life, health, and gratitude. I too often get into a funk that doesn't allow for a positive attitude when things don't go as planned. Thank you, as always for your personal insights!

Guitar Ted said...

@Tim - Thank you!