Wednesday, September 21, 2022

Country Views: Every Ride Counts

Escape Route: 2nd Avenue, Waterloo, Iowa
I have a friend that rode a century this past weekend and I was very happy he got out to do that. However; it is hard not to also feel a bit inadequate here, as I have not been able to get out on such a long ride myself, and comparisons are hard to avoid. 

So, I inadvertently found myself having an inner dialogue which was basically an apologetic for my not doing a big ride Monday. Then it struck me: I don't have to apologize to anyone for whatever length this ride is going to be! 

The ol' innerwebs try to smash it in your face though. Big, "epic" rides in far off places are featured by the influencers and media. Social media lights up when someone in the gravel community does a big ride. But go out for a 20 miler? Yeah..... No one seems to care and this can leave you feeling a bit "less than" if you let it.

I had to do a hard reset in my mind Monday. Yeah.....this wasn't some big adventure ride with tons of distance. It was a very good ride in terms of my mental health and physical well being though. That's probably right up there with someone riding the Silk Road event in whatever far-off place that event takes place in. At least it is for me and my family. 

So, whatever.....

It was an absolute stunner of a day out in the country.

The gravel was tamed down by recent rains, but it was still pretty rough out here.

Once I escaped the grasp of the city and all its hustle and bustle, I was out in the peaceful rolling country North of Waterloo for a bit. The dichotomy between the city and the country is jarring at times, and the peacefulness I felt out there was definitely the antidote for the crazy city madness. 

The Gen I Fargo at the Big Rock

So, I think this might be the second time I've had the new crank set (to me) out on the gravel which I put on the Fargo. The 180mm XT crank set is a bit different and will take some getting used to. I finally had the front derailleur tuned in with this crank and now it all works really well. I need a new chain and cassette soon though. Being 9 speed stuff, it shouldn't be all that expensive. 

You probably wouldn't know it unless I told you, but I held the camera high above my head for this shot.

The Fargo really could use a nicer wheel set. I have to get on that here. I do have some rims hanging in the floor joists down in the Lab that I could use. Velocity Blunt SS's, as I recall. I may hold out for a set of carbon hoops though. The Gen I Fargo rides and handles a whole lot better with a really stiff wheel. 


Headed back home....

So, it was a good ride. A great ride! I needed that ride, and whether or not anyone else knows it, my family needed me to get that ride in. My friends and acquaintances needed me to get that ride in. I'm better for it, so everyone else I touch in some way is also better for it as well. That's important. As much or more so than any influencer's "epic" ride on social media. 

So, if you find yourself, like I do sometimes, being all down and out about your riding because of what you see on social media, then remember this: Every Ride Counts.

5 comments:

teamdarb said...

Well said. I only did 8 miles.

FarleyBob said...

"Every Ride Counts!" That might just be my new motto! I haven't had a chance for many rides lately and I need to remember that any miles are good miles.

MuddyMatt said...

I much prefer to read about your rides than some of the more 'epic' stuff elsewhere Mark. I ride for the breathing space it gives me in a busy life, and I ride because I really enjoy the company of friends doing the same.

Four of us managed 18 miles yesterday evening on the MTBs with plenty of singletrack and some 1700ft of climbing, just 25 miles outside London in the UK but a million miles from the Big Smoke. Our connection? We all met through the website (my wife calls them my virtual friends!). My point is, writing about stuff brings people together and I'm not sure a solo, epic, personal challenge much compares. Kudos if it works for those that do these things but for me its about the community and a shared understanding, both offline and on.

So, no apologies necessary, a ride is a ride. Keep riding and keep writing!

Matt

Guitar Ted said...

@MuddyMatt - Thank you for the massive encouragement. I appreciate it!

Ari said...

I’m happy every day I can ride to work and back. Not being in a car is awesome. Keep going at it.