Wednesday, November 14, 2012

Randomonium

A completely disjointed and non-flowing stream of consciousness for your consideration today....

By-Tor was a little put out for being left out of yesterday's post
 Wow! I knew a lot of folks were interested in fatbike stuff, but yesterday took the cake. My blog stats revealed a huge amount of hits on yesterday's post making it the single biggest day on this blog ever.

That is impressive when you think about Trans Iowa, or some other posts that have been super popular here. But fatbiking has really captured the imagination of folks, it would seem, and after all- we are going into winter when most folks give thought to these beasts.

So I'm going to give you one more point on fatbikes before moving on to other things. It is a timely point as well. (Okay- it is a bit of a rant, really....)

Fatbikes are great indoor trainer killers: I used to try to keep in shape by doing the trainer workouts or by riding rollers. You know what? It never panned out for me. I'd sooner drive an ice pick into my forehead than ride an indoor trainer. You may have a different opinion on the matter, and that is fine, but as far as I am concerned, the indoor cycling scene is anti-cycling. I'd go as far as saying it is from the heart of the devil, but that is just me. If indoor training is soooo awesome, than why don't folks do it in air conditioned comfort in July? Yeah..........because deep down inside, they know cycling belongs out of doors. That's why. Now with fatbikes at our disposal, there is no reason on earth to buy an indoor trainer, set of rollers, or to buy a pass to the gym. Get outdoors and breathe some fresh air, not some sweaty, humid, gym air. Don't get stuck in a basement. Don't glorify your mundane indoor existence by calling it a "house of pain". Sheesh!

Why would anyone not want to ride out of doors if they could? Now you have no excuse. Go.....

T.I. post card
Trans Iowa V9 registration is in full swing. I get a kick out of the post cards I get. The one I am sharing with you today is from a guy that is suggesting that this is what the Secret Checkpoint people may look like this year.

Reminds me of a Nazereth album cover!

Anyway, it looks as though this Trans Iowa will feature a cast of regulars and I am really pleased to see that. You know....I've grown kind of fond of these folks over the years. I do not get to see most of these people but for a few fleeting moments once a year. Not that I am complaining. I count myself blessed to know all of them at all.

Nuff of that. The registration is going smoothly so far. There are 29 spots left for Veterans as of yesterday. More cards are due in today. Since going to this form of registration the Veterans have not taken all their available spots, and I do not think they will this year either, but I may be surprised after all is said and done Saturday.

Then on Monday the Rookies get their crack at getting on the roster. My prediction is that by Tuesday the 49 available spots will be gone. There may be one, maybe two unclaimed Veteran slots, and if so, they will go into the Rookie pool, but no matter. If you are a Rookie don't sleep on it if you want a piece of T.I.V9, cause the chance at getting in will be a short lived one.

Plus, I am not going to maintain a Waiting List, nor do I allow transfers. If you miss this, you'll have to wit until a possible T.I.V10. (Man! That looks weird- T.I.V10!)

Okay, that's the main stuff on my mind now. Back to regularly scheduled blogging tomorrow....

7 comments:

Unknown said...

How about T.I. V-X

Thanks again Mark for the opportunity!

Charly Tri said...

You are perpetuating the myth that one needs a fat bike to enjoy riding outdoors in the winter. That is simply not the case or I would have been stuck inside for years. Fatbikes just widen the available terrain and make it more fun.

Have fun with TI, I will be home next year.

Guitar Ted said...

@Charly Tri: Am I perpetuating a myth, (about something that is so new, it can hardly be claimed to have any myths associated with it), or am I offering folks a way to see an opportunity for successful, enriching, and healthy outdoor activities?

I never said it was "the only way", but I am saying it makes it so you have no excuse not to cycle out of doors year long.

Charly Tri said...

Fatbikes aren't new, they are just new to a lot of people. There are plenty of myths, you actually talk about some; only for snow, sluggish, slow, etc.

As long as you have a bike with tread and warm clothes you have no excuse. You don't NEED to spend over a grand to get there. Granted, it is fun, opens up more possibilities, and I absolutely love my 907, but I was also riding in the winter long before I could afford a fatbike. I think others who can't quite get the big tires shouldn't be discouraged from enjoying the winter wonderland.

Guitar Ted said...

@Charly Tri: True on the perceptions, (I wouldn't call them "myths"), but that wasn't your intended meaning when you brought the subject of myths up, now was it? ;>)

I never went to the "you have to have a fat bike to do this' angle that you seem to think I have been saying. Again- It is not the only way to do things- it IS a good way and erases excuses to be indoors cycling. THAT is what I am saying.

Of course- there are a million other ways to enjoy the outdoors. i am not excluding anything. This is where you and I seem to be at an impasse.

I have been outdoors on cheap-ass bikes as well. It can work if you want it to, but c'mon Charly- Fatbikes are way more interesting and fun and stable and adept at the task. I think you and I are on the same page there, at least.

Charly Tri said...

Agreed on the fatbikes for sure. Reading your post though it gives the impression that in order to ride outside in winter you really need a fatbike. Ok, maybe that is just my perception, which I am told by the wife is usually wrong. So until you and I are married, I will give you my perspective.

On another note, I was talking with some guys and we all agreed that you should really consider making TI the same course year after year. No enjoyment would be lost and it would save you a ton of time. Maybe a visit back to the TI #1 course for the ten year? Just throwing ideas out there.

Guitar Ted said...

@Charly Tri: Hmm....the prospect of being married to you gives me the creeps. No offense! I just think you might be better off where you are at now. ;>)

Trans Iowa doing the same course year after year has been considered. I have several detailed thoughts on that subject. Those would take far more space than I have here to expound on. Look for a post dealing with that subject in the near future. I will attempt to dispel that notion from you and your friends minds, since I think it is a bad idea. Stay tuned....