Saturday, February 25, 2017

Minus Ten Review- 8

Still rolling these things.
Ten years ago here on the blog I had plenty of pictures! However; I must not have pulled my camera out at Frostbike ten years ago because I had no images posted of that show at all. I think I know what happened there.....

A little over eleven years ago, nobody had ever heard of me. Then this blog got started, I got recognized by the bicycle industry as a 29"er guy, and then all the Trans Iowa brouhaha blew up, especially after V2. By 2007, I was getting tapped on the shoulder and shaking a lot of hands wherever I went to a bicycling type of gathering.

Looking back on my Frostbike report from '07, I see that I ended up yakking for several hours before I went into "work mode" and went about the show at the last minute to gather information. This between times of riding Ben Witt's 36"er outside, gathering up my brand spankin' new Industry 9 single speed wheel set, and more gabbing.

So, that was a prototype and foreshadowing of the next several Frostbikes to come for me. That weekend used to be pretty crazy, but those times are gone now. It was a fun period in my life I won't soon forget.

Anyway, the I-9 wheels were part of a special bike build I was having put together which included the special custom fillet brazed frame I mentioned yesterday in the blog. That frame was supposed to be a single speed frame, but due to some weird circumstances, it came to me as a vertical drop out frame with no provisions for single speed set up. So, this wheel set ended up on a completely different bike, and is on that bike to this day. One more thing- This was supposed to be an orange anodized hub set, but it came out an orangey-bronze-brown instead. Very odd. Definitely NOT orange like I-9 has been doing of late.

More on those special bikes as we get into the Minus Ten Reviews this year.......

4 comments:

Daniel said...

I've never been able to figure out what Industry 9's logo is. What is that supposed to be?

Guitar Ted said...

@Daniel Lemke: I don't know either. So, I e-mailed I-9 and asked. I'll post their response if I get one. They may chime in here as I sent the link to this post.

Rydn9ers said...

No clue on the official meaning but it does look a bit like an eye from a distance but as you get closer the void in the middle or pupil area is in the shape of the number 9. Eye 9 perhaps?

Guitar Ted said...

@All- "Official" response to my e-mail as follows; "The logo, (we call it the snail) is just a i 9. The top circle is the 9 and the i is the lower half. Nothing super in depth really! "

So there ya go!