Tuesday, August 10, 2021

Oh Yeah! That Reminds Me.....

Gravel Worlds posted this on their Facebook page and other social media over the weekend.
 Having been a promoter, organizer, chief cook and bottle washer for a gravel event or two in my lifetime, I tend to notice things other promoters in the space are doing. Over the weekend I spotted a message from the promoters of Gravel Worlds regarding the issues with having extra cars on course. This is something that really triggers me, so I apologize in advance here for the oncoming rant......

First off- NOTE: Gravel Worlds is a self-supported event. I know many of you here reading this understand what that actually means, but I am consistently reminded that most people do not understand what that means. 

If they did, this entire 'cars out on course' issue would be a moot point, but because we live in a world that cries foul if they cannot access information immediately, and because we have over-protection built into our culture these days, misunderstandings arise. And due to this, the term 'self-support' doesn't register with many people. It is because they feel as if they have a right to know and by-golly! They are going to get that information even if it means driving on roads that they would almost assuredly not even consider driving on otherwise. All under the guise of 'spectating', which is code for "I must know what is going on!" As if by being there they could confer some well meaning 'vibes' and 'cheer' to spur their rider onward. Which, by the way, is exactly why they should NOT be out on course, first and foremost. Because by 'cheering' on and 'spectating' you take away from the self-support elements of the event. Spectators actually demean the rider's efforts in a self-supported event. It is all due to selfishness. 

Think that is crazy talk? Explain 'home field advantage' to me then. See...... Spectators are an anathema to self-supported racing. 

Secondly, and one could argue this is the most important point, (but I will leave that discussion for another day), is that drivers out on course are a danger to riders. Furthermore, this traffic is not natural to the area and it disturbs the very reasons why people love to ride gravel, which for many is to get away from cars! It's difficult enough that we have to dodge local farmers and their agricultural machines, (and we gladly defer our positions on the road to them) but when you add in drivers unfamiliar with gravel-travel, well, it becomes a nightmare for the riders in the event. At the very least, it is a bother, at the worst? You could cause an unnecessary accident. 

Oh, and by the way, you strangers stick out like a sore thumb. It is easy to spot non-locals out driving the gravel, looking for 'their riders'. For one thing, bike racks, nice SUV's, and out of state plates are not a usual thing out in the Styx. I could go on.... 

But the thing that grinds my gears is that we have to keep messaging the same thing over and over again, year after year. It gets tiresome, and it reminds me why I am happy to be out of promoting gravel events now. After 15 years, I think I've paid the dues. But that doesn't mean I still don't pay attention, or care, and because I do, it provokes rants like these. So, please do a thing: Be an ambassador to those who 'don't get it yet'. But be nice!  

If y'all want 'the thing' that y'all are chasing in this gravel riding scene, you aren't going to get it with no boundaries. There is a way it works, and a way that it doesn't, and anyone can play. You could get the same 'good thing' we all got back in the day doing it one way. But, if you want to play it your way, go ahead. I know it won't work the same.

Nuff said......

No comments: