Wednesday, August 04, 2021

Tool Roll Wars: An Introduction

The SILCA Asymmetrico tool roll.
 I mentioned the tool roll thing a while back in a recent "FN&V" post and this post will serve as the next update. Basically, I have three tool rolls to look at now. I know......For a guy that said he wasn't into tool rolls to have three now is pretty ironic. But, one thing led to another and here I am! For a quick recap then.....

The KOM Cycling Tool Roll came in first and when I Instagrammed it, a commenter said it was a 'rip-off' of the SILCA Asymmetrico tool roll. So, I figured, let's just see about that, shall we? I ordered one up. Now two things in comparison are fine, but - well, three is better! So, I thought about it and came across a tool roll from a completely different viewpoint. This third one is from a mountain biker's perspective and it shows. The third tool roll is the Burrito Pack from Topeak.

I've got all three packed and have used them all on rides now. I want to get some more miles in on gravel, but I already have some pretty strong opinions on all three already. And for the record, if the KOM Cycling tool roll is a 'rip-off', it is a better version than the one they supposedly ripped off the design from. Now, do I really think the KOM one is a so-called 'rip-off'? No, I do not. Similar? yes, but if you are ripping off a design, that means to me that you are copying it as closely as possible and selling it for a LOT less money. 

The KOM Cycling Saddle Tool Roll.
While the KOM  Saddle Tool Roll is about 15 bucks cheaper than the SILCA one, I find that to be about par for the course with SILCA's pricing which is usually at the premium end of the range for anything they sell. For instance, when you compare the KOM Saddle Tool Roll with the Topeak Burrito Pack, they are the same price, or within about a dollar of each other, depending where you look. So, on price, there is no real disparity here. 

Design-wise, the similarity between the SILCA and KOM seems very close, but upon closer inspection, you would see that the KOM's "ATOP" dial works very differently, has a much longer string length, and has a bit better clasp/hook at the end than SILCA's tool roll. Plus, how the two carry a cargo is not even close. Rip-off? I think not. In fact, the KOM Saddle Tool Roll is a better product. But I'll show why that is in my reviews on RidingGravel.com when I get those written. (Hey! I gotta save something for the other site!)

The Topeak Burrito Pack.
The Topeak Burrito Pack actually is a better design in many respects than either of the other two. Being that the Topeak tool roll is designed with MTB in mind, it is slightly larger, and therefore can swallow a tube, (or two!), that is 'gravel tire sized' better than the roadie inspired tool rolls it is up against here. It also has a couple of details which make it more secure, and that is a really big deal when you are relying on that bag to not only stay on the bike, but retain its contents in high-vibration situations like gravel roads or on rough back roads. 

There is also the fact that you can attach the Burrito Pack off a top tube, so it is not relegated to just under the saddle. While the Burrito Pack does not have a fancy-pants rotary loop closure, it is simpler, and you know.....Velcro works well. So, let's say you have a Velcro failure due to wear. Well, you can sew another patch of it on there. A rotary loop closure dial fails and......what? Probably goes in the bin at that point. And those dials do fail. 

So, that's where I am at with the "Tool Roll Wars" deal now. I'll be writing up separate little reviews on these for RidingGravel.com, but I'll be back here at some point with some commentary as well. 

As always- The Standard Disclaimer applies here.

6 comments:

Josh at SILCA said...

The KOM roll is an almost exact replica of the original SILCA seat roll premio..even down to the patterning and material placement, so that's what people are saying. That was an extremely successful product for us for the last 5 years, so there are more than a few imitators out there. The asymmetrico has some changes that quite honestly, made it a much better road roll, but probably a less good gravel roll, so there will be a gravel version with further improvements on the way in the future.
The one issue with the Asymmetrico that we did not foresee is that the large hypalon strap makes people want to pull the roll tight from the bottom, and it needs to be pulled down from the top. OR, you just give the roll a slight shift after connecting the hypalon so that the BOA closure is centered again. We have a youtube video on this, if you want, but we've found that 9 out of 10 people who don't like the bag, like it once they learn to do this little shift..

Nooge said...

The BOA dials are easily replaced. I had to do that for one of my shoes. I got my replacements from my LBS, but I have seen good reports from people dealing direct with BOA as well. That said, for an application like this, I would prefer Velcro.

Guitar Ted said...

@Josh at SILCA- Thank you for your comments. I don't know a thing about the previous tool roll your company offered, and the commenter did not specify that model. Just that the KOM Saddle Tool Roll was a 'rip-off' of the SILCA tool roll. Unless you want to confirm that the KOM product is a direct 'rip-off' or that it isn't, I will only be able to say that "No- the KOM saddle Tool Roll is not a 'rip-off' of the SILCA Asymmetrico." I can only assume that the old one may have been more similar to the KOM tool roll available now.

I appreciate that you are saying this is not so much a 'gravel' oriented product. I also would love to check out an Assymetrico that IS a gravel specific version when that comes out. I will now be painting the SILCA Assymmetrico as a road roll after your lead here.

I did watch the video, actually, and I did roll the product as shown there, but I did not know that 'gravel sized' tubes would not fit, and that was my problem with it. I also did not put as much stuff in there, as I can with the other two tool rolls, and that made a big difference as well.

So now I am having success with the Assymmetrico, but I have found out independently and now from you that it doesn't work as well for the gravelly side of things. So, you can expect that I'd like the other two quite a bit better.

Finally, I bought and paid for the Assymmetrico myself and I wanted to say that dealing with SILCA online and throughout the ordering and delivering process was THE BEST experience online with a company- ANY company- I've yet experienced. I will be talking more about that soon. Kudos to you and THANK YOU!!

Guitar Ted said...

@Nooge - Assuming your LBS has the BOA's on hand, that it is correct for the tool roll, and if not - assuming that you can order one. I would assume that SILCA would have it. Otherwise I am seeing that the BOA Fit System site says you need to have specific info to replace one, such as model, product, etc. All of seems less than 'easily replaced' to me, but your mileage may vary.

If SILCA stocks replacement BOA's - then yes, maybe easy, if not?

NY Roll said...

I have had nothing but problems with the Silca roll. It tends to flip itself while mounted. It has not dropped or unrolled the tools out. I have had success with the Silca roll when I am carrying just a tube in the roll and nothing else. There is a different roll I have used for years, that I have had similar problems with, but I thought the BOA would fix that issue. It has not. I am curious as to how the KOM will work. I think my issues are from saddle position, I ride with my saddle pushed forward, soooooo it may be a positioning issue with pressure.

KC said...

Also intrigued by a tool roll made with gravel in mind. I've figured out how to mount mine & keep it in place (how it's packed makes a huge difference), and I ALMOST have it positioned to not hit my thighs when pedaling. It's seen a decent amount of ride time & for now I'm sticking with it.