Tuesday, November 15, 2022

Event Amplifier: November 2022

Introducing The Guitar Ted Productions Event Amplifier:

Introduction: Last week I posted about a NE Pennsylvania gravel event and I received a couple of very interesting comments. First, let's look at those two comments, because they were the impetus for me to make a decision to do what I am doing here today. Here are those quotes:

"Please continue to post some of these events. I want to travel to a location to ride but don't want to buy in to the BWR/Unbound style event. I'm not new at all to bikes (or your blog) but am new to gravel riding and it's been so fun exploring new areas."

 "Absolutely post more unique events. It will give me an interesting POI map for next year.

...as long as the fees don't kill.
"

I took inspiration from these comments and Tweeted out that I thought that "...a lot of folks feel this way." I also stated that I would amplify unique, under-the-radar events here on the blog if people would suggest them. The response was quick and I received several suggestions. Today I am going to share some of them with you. 

But first, here are some ground rules: It's got to be a "gravel" or dirt road event. Doesn't have to be a race either, but the course has to have at least 75% of its distance in gravel/dirt. That's not necessarily a hard number, but I think if you stick in miles and miles of pavement your event is something else. Just what that is I'll leave up to you to decide, but in my opinion, it ain't no gravel event. 

Secondly, I really cringe when I see events that have their main focus for their public interface as just Facebook or just Instagram, or just BikeReg. All three? Great! Got a website? That's the best. So, if I see you are only using Facebook, which not all folks have, or want to use, then nah.....I'm probably not going to amplify that. Why? Because I will get grief about it on my end. I have nothing at all to do with the event productions, but I'll get the complaints that "this is on Facebook only? Too bad! I will never use that social media, so why did you "promote that event"? 

Which leads me to this: I am not PROMOTING THESE EVENTS! I am amplifying them. In other words, I am acting here, (quoting the Dictionary.com meaning) " to make larger, greater, or stronger; enlarge; extend." these events bandwidth in terms of their message. That's it. That's all I am doing here.

So, if the site goes dark, the dates change, if you cannot get a hold of the race director, or if there are issues on your side with attendance, etc, I AM NOT THE PERSON YOU SHOULD CONTACT.  I will not reply to such queries. I am merely informing you of the existence of an event. Period. 

Ask me some other time to explain why I have to say these things, but for now- trust me - I haven't driven that point home hard enough. This is not my first rodeo, as the saying goes. 

Finally: My take on these events is just that- my personal opinion. I look at the information presented and call it like I see it. You'll find this opinion in "Why It's Cool" and any concerns I might have in the "Caveat" sections.

Okay- 'niff said on that! 

The Dusty Roadrunner Gravel Series:

Location: These dirt/gravel events take place on various courses around the Albuquerque, New Mexico area throughout the year. 

Dates: The events take place throughout the year. The final event for 2022 is this coming weekend. Look for new 2023 dates on their website to be announced later. 

Why It's Cool: All courses are unpaved and the events are free. The organizers do require that you preregister and spots are limited.  Low key, social, and self-supported. 

Caveat: The events are in remote areas, so be prepared to rough it!

Website: https://dustyroadrunner.weebly.com/

Chinkapin Hollow Gravel Grinder:

Location: Fayetteville, Arkansas. 

Date: October 28th, 2023

Why It's Cool: This event was happening in Northwest Arkansas way before it was cool to be riding gravel in NW Arkansas. The event has a prize purse, and it is a full-blown production with everything you would expect in a race. Festival atmosphere. Great area to bring the family. Reasonable event cost. 

Caveat: The two shorter distances offered have too much pavement in their courses to really be considered a "gravel event", but the 109 mile course does cut the mustard.  

Website: https://www.bikesignup.com/Race/AR/Fayetteville/ChinkapinHollowGravelGrinder 

(I discuss this a bit with N.Y. Roll on the latest Riding Gravel Radio Ranch episode: "The Gravel Amplifier"

Okay, that's it for this post. I'll have a few more soon.  

5 comments:

teamdarb said...

Awesome. I like the parameter settings. Does Alaska do "gravel"?

And because guitar and amplified: I had dinner a couple of nights ago with Dave Burgess and family here in western TN. They had drove passed after sunset and invited me to sit with them at dinner. People are always perplexed as to why someone is out cycling in the cold. Now I had no idea who he was until looking him up. He had some funny stories about fishing and the music industry.

Guitar Ted said...

@teamdarb - Thank you! Yes, Alaska does have some gravel events. I remember posting a few to the old gravel calendar I used to maintain. There weren't many though, back then.

A quick Google search led me to this odd gravel event. An uphill 11 mile course to a mine shaft!
https://kmtacorridor.org/mineshaft-grinder/

That's a cool story about Dave Burgess. If it is the same guy I found on the innergoogles, he was in a band called the Champs. He'd be pretty old if it was the same guy you met.

Thanks for the comments!

teamdarb said...

@GT
Yes, same guy.

Blain said...

Thanks for giving these shout-outs. The roadrunner series looks really interesting and close enough.

Carson said...

@Guitar Ted - Thanks for taking the time to review and amplify these types of events. They are exactly what I'm interested in hearing about and attending when possible.