Wednesday, December 09, 2015

Guitar Ted Lube Off: Wet Season

Rock & Roll Gold: Too sticky!
Okay, with the Summer season well behind us, and the DuMonde Tech and Rock & Roll lubes having been great during that time of the year, it is now time to check out my "wet" weather results and what I have planned so far up to this point in the season.

First, an update on Rock & Roll Gold lube. It is not a good wet weather lube here. What worked in the dry times seems to not be so good when mud and moisture come into the picture. I'm not picking up a lot of gunk on my chain, but I am getting much more than I did when it was drier. What I am getting is a sticky chain and it caused chain suck on a 36T ring the other day. This was right after applying a fresh coating of the lube only hours before. That's not going to cut it for me. So, that's it for this lube. I would recommend it heartily for anything dry, as far as conditions, but not when things get nasty.

Of course, DuMonde Tech is going to be used going forward, but I also have some "off the wall" solutions in the mix. I won't say what they are just yet, but I have gotten some surprising results. More on all of that soon......

Stay tuned. This is going to get real interesting.

2 comments:

Dave said...

I've never had any issues with Dumonde Tech. 4 years, 4 salty winters, rainy gravel. It's been great. I do maintan my bikes pretty well-which always helps. I'm done looking elsewhere.

Nooge said...

I never thought about chain lube having an impact on chain suck, but it makes sense now that I think about it. This series is my kind of review; real world, long term and honest. Thanks Guitar Ted 🎸