Tuesday, December 19, 2023

Bikes Of 2023: On One Inbred

It's another December here on the blog. You know what that means? Yep! Another round of my bikes I used in 2023. This round-up will not include some of the bikes I did not use this year much, or at all. I focus only on the bikes that played a big role in my riding during this year.  

As always, any changes or future plans for any bike I feature will also be detailed. I hope that you enjoy this year's round-up. Note; Throughout December there will be a lot of double-post days. Scroll back to make sure you haven't missed anything!

The old On One Inbred in yet another configuration. From Fall 2023.

Well, this bike would never have made this list had it not been for the opportunity to review the Wilde Bicycle Co. Country Bar. That handle bar really needed to go on a flat bar specific bike, and while I used to have plenty of candidates for that sort of application, now I don't. 

So, the Inbred was brought out of mothballs and back to life as a 2 X 10 speed MTB. The crank set on the bike, an Origin 8 model that came with the frame when I acquired it again several years ago, (another whole story there), has a 36T big ring which is pretty nice for gravel. The inner ring is a weird 29T size, but again, nice for winching up hills when you have a 36T cassette cog. 

I decided to use my old Paul Components Thumbie mounts with some older 10spd bar end SRAM shifters. It is an "old school" way to shift that I really like. I also popped on a Cane Creek Thudbuster because, why not? I have it, so may as well use it up. 

I could have thrown on a sus fork, but again, why? I don't really need that here. I do have that option though and I can always go to that when needed. 

Since this is the frame I did the very first DK200 on, I won't be getting rid of it. But that said, now that it is a viable MTB bike, I think it will be staying in this configuration for quite some time. So now if I ever need a MTB to ride some where, this bike can do that.

No comments: